XXVII - Samuel

Lionel swore. Does the name Albane ring any bells?

I quickly scanned across my memories. No. Why?

Lionel swore again. You know the man who you saw just before you died? In the purple suit? Well, he's just about to kill Aunt Rosia.

What do you need?

Lionel sighed. I need you on standby. Jess is keeping an eye on the situation, so I'm mostly going to be talking to her, I just need you to- Actually, I don't know what I need. Just, stand by. I'll try keep you in the loop.

After a while, I went back to my memories.

I was walking through the main entrance when I heard Jess scream. I dropped my books, and ran towards the sound. The kitchen door was ajar. I pushed it open. Father was holding Jess by her hair, and pointing at a chopping board with two slices of bread on it. Sanders was standing on the other side of the room, fists clenched. No one was moving.

Father let go of Jess's hair. She slouched, and stared blankly at the chopping board. I could hear my pulse. Father walked up to Sanders. Sanders took a step back. Then he took two steps forward.

Father grabbed Sanders' ear. "You? This is a first. Got all bold, now that they're all scheming against me." He pulled Sanders up to his eye level. Sanders balanced on his toes, trying to stop his ear being torn off.

Father twisted the ear even further. "Even your younger brother is bigger than you. Taller, stockier. You're just weak." He spun, and punched Sanders in the mouth.

I stepped forwards. Father turned to me. "And you. Every time something happens in this family, you're always lurking in the shadows. Watching me, judging me." I took another step forward. Sanders pulled himself to his feet.

He grabbed Jess by the back of her neck, and looked straight at me. "Yes. I see you sneaking around. Think you're so clever, don't you? Waiting and watching." He wrenched Jess' head around to face him. "And you can't even do what you're told either. When I ask you to do something, you do it." He slammed Jess' head into the chopping board. The pieces of bread jumped up with the impact. I took another step forward.Lionel ran into the kitchen, covered in snow.

Father snarled. "What is this? Get out of my sight." Lionel eased his arm underneath Jess, and pulled her over his shoulder. There was a cut on the bridge of her nose. Both of her nostrils oozed blood. She stirred slightly, but didn't move.

Sanders walked back with me. His teeth were stained red. I picked up my books, and walked upstairs. My hands were shaking.

We walked into Lionel's room, and sat down on the floor. Jess was lying on his bed. Lionel was standing in the far corner. I opened my book, and slipped the plan out of it.

Lionel unfolded it with a grim smile, and cleared his throat. "OK. Here's how we're going to do it. Here's how we're going to kill him. The first step, we need to convince Eleanor to take the night off cooking...