3: Call Me The Black Sheep

Chapter 3

Call Me The Black Sheep

Mr. Bently gained my respect when he didn't mind Tara and I not having our books. He even let us borrow his spare ones, so I didn't need to let Charlie share with me longer.

I closed my-- Mr. Bently's book as the bell rang. I handed it to my English teacher with a thanks, gave Tara her gym bag and walked with Charlie to Sara's locker.

We strode towards Locker 377 quickly and silently. I took a brief glance at Charlie, who was staring at me.

"Later," I said, just as Charlie opened his mouth.

He closed his mouth and raised his eyebrows. Then he opened his mouth again, saying, "Sorry, by the way. About that ball. If I wouldn't have-"

"It's long forgotten, Eli. It's okay," I said sincerely.

He stared at me before smiling.

We found Sara leaning on her locker, texting. She looked bothered, she had her lips pursed, eyebrows furrowed and was fidgeting. I approached her slowly, squinting at her phone.

"Hey, Sara."

Sara gasped, flinching and frantically hid her phone. She looked at me and sighed, taking her phone out again. She faked a smile and combed her hair with her fingers.

"Hi," she squeaked.

Charlie ruffled her hair. She gave what I think was supposed to be a sharp look at him, but looked rather like a grimace.

"Can I have some water?" I asked.

Sara fumbled through the inside of her bag and handed me a water bottle loosely held in her hand that it slipped, but I caught it.

She gulped and muttered, "Sorry."

I raised an eyebrow, confused by her strange behavior.

"What are you so anxious about?" Charlie asked.

"None of your business!" she snapped.

Charlie raised both hands in a surrendering manner. "Just asking!"

Sara sighed. "We have a Ball practice."

I almost spat the water I was drinking. "B-Ball practice?" I stammered.

"Yeah!" Sara said. She bit her lip. "You know, we practice 'dining' manners, dancing with our partners and behaving like prim and civilized people..."

Sara had a right to panic because of that.

"What's the problem with some stupid practice?" Charlie rolled his eyes.

"Well, the possibility of making a fool of ourselves in front of the richest people on Earth is the problem!" I said anxiously.

Charlie rolled his eyes again. "Still-"

"Hey!"

Cale appeared, panting and huffing. What happened with the sporty Cale? "There you are! I was searching the whole school for you three! Got your message, by the way. Ball practice tonight?" he said incredulously.

Sara nodded glumly.

"Okay, I'll pick you guys up on--what time is the practice?"

"Eight."

"I'll pick you up at seven. I have to find some posh-looking clothes." he said, beaming.

"Oh, Cale, thanks for saving my consciousness earlier, by the way!" I said.