Seven: The Honey's Inheritance

Amy stared at the money in her hands, having counted it over several times already over the past two days. Each time she did, there seemed to be more, and she was overwhelmed by it all. Queen Aleena's job offer still weighed heavily in her mind, no matter how hard she tried to shove the opportunity she was given out the window.

"Twelve hundred smackaroons.." Isrelda mumbled over her shoulder. "For one simple dress. I'm jealous of you!"

"What am I supposed to do with money like this?" Amy asked under her breath. "I don't think I've even seen this much in one place before.."

"You buy whatever you want, child!" Isrelda replied with a hearty laugh. "Or at least, in a perfect world, you could. But if you were to go around buying things, Ginevra would get suspicious. My best guess would be to save it."

Amy nodded, flipping through the thing paper bills one more time. She split it in half and handed it out to the old woman.

"Here, Miss Isrelda."

The woman stared at it in shock, looking back and forth between the money and the girl sitting on the stairs in front of her. "I couldn't possibly--"

"You've helped me out so much, Miss Isrelda. You've been my only friend since that witch moved in here. You also have grandchildren to buy Christmas presents for this year. Please take it."

"Amelia--"

"If you don't take it," She puffed her cheeks. "I'll just slip it into your bag anyway. Little by little so you don't notice it." It wasn't as though she even needed it for herself, anyway.

Isrelda sighed in defeat and wrapped her arms around the girl's neck, planting a kiss on the top of her head. "You're the sweetest child I've ever met. Of course, you're no longer a child.." She backed away and took a good look at her. "You're the brightest young woman I've ever met."

The fondest of smiles was shared between them; however, their little moment was interrupted as Ginevra burst in through the front shop doors, causing the bell to echo out with a painful scream. "Amelia! Amelia Rose where are you?" She yelled, her voice sounding displeased and frustrated.

Amy shoved the money into her pocket and stood just as Ginevra entered into the foyer, casting a glare upon the pink-quilled girl. She stalked over, huffing as she stopped.

"Ah, child -- there you are. I need you to craft dresses for my girls after all. The seamstress I had in mind has fallen ill and I do not want my angels to be tainted with her germs and unable to attend the ball." She leaned forward and narrowed her eyes, too close to the girl's face for comfort. "You WILL make them properly this time, do you hear me? Gowns fit for a princess, got it?"

Amy resisted the urge to return the glare and nodded subtly. "Yes, Miss Ginevra. I'll get to work on them right away. While you're here, though.. may I ask you a question?"

The woman straightened up and crossed her arms over her chest, glancing down at the pink hedgehog. "A question? Who do you think I am, your friend? Get to work already."

"No, wait," Amelia stood, turning to stand face to face with the woman. "What would happen, just out of curiosity of course, if I were to be offered another job?"

The woman raised an unamused brow, though her eyes held a hint of obvious concern. "Another job? Do not toy with me, child. If you leave this place then you leave everything behind. I shall cut off your inheritance and you will dishonor your father's name."

"Dishonor his name?" Amy scoffed lightly. "By taking another job?"

"No, you will dishonor his name by abandoning him and his home," She curled in her fingers and examined her nails as though she were disinterested. "Leaving your poor step-mother and sisters behind, having stolen most of their money before running off with a bandit boy.. shame on you!"