Transfigured {Austin}

The smell of sugar surrounded his home. I could feel the warmth before I even set foot in the front door. He walked in before me. The living room was strung in garland adorned with snow covered pinecones are cranberries. They had a very potent fir tree in one corner, mugged full of Christmas ornaments. Three hand embroidered stocking hung over the cobbled fireplace. His whole house was one large quirk. From the red door to his mothers patchwork baking apron. I loved the reciprocity of his family. Love and warmth. Something my home lacked. His mom greeted me with a plate of freshly iced ginger cookies. I took one out of politeness. He looked so much like her, right down to the small crinkles next to their eyes that appeared when they smiled. He was in the kitchen, rightfully pilfering cookies.

"Mum I'm staying at Austin's tonight if that's alright?"

She smiled.

"Of course. Just come home after your party tomorrow, unless it's too late. I'd rather you boys stay off the roads when it's dark out."

I couldn't help but smile. Now she resembled my mom. He hurried up the stairs to collect his things. I felt her studying me.

"He's taken quite a liking to you."

I offered her a small smile.

"He's a nice kid. I like his company."

Her eyes flickered with knowing, a smirk drawn at her mouth.

"I'm sure you do."

My smile faltered a bit, enough for her to notice. We both turned at the sound of his footsteps on the stairs.  He landed before us, bag slung over his shoulder. He gave her a kiss on her cheek and he was hustling me back towards the cold twilight.

"You boys have fun."

"We will."

I said in retort. I was met by a final quip of the lips.