Chapter 30

As the weeks passed, Maxon and I practiced therapy techniques from the book. We would sit in my room for hours and did everything the instructions said, but what we didn't realize was that Maxon would get worse before he got better.

        He told me his nightmares were becoming more frequent and more lifelike. I never saw it for myself though. After that first night, Maxon wouldn't allow me to be in there with him at night. He didn't want to hurt me again. I guess I could understand where he was coming from, but I wished I could be there for him.

        Eventually, signs of improvement started to appear. Maxon's usually tense shoulders began to relax. I caught him smiling to himself sometimes as we did his therapy. If he got bored, he would become playful and start tickling me or pulling the book from my lap and kissing me lightheartedly. Maxon's gloomy and brooding air gave way to his real playful and warm personality. I felt him get a little better every second.

        One day in late August, Maxon and I were sitting out on my balcony. The sun was setting on the horizon. An orange glow tinted the world around me. The air was warm and humid, but it wasn't so humid it was uncomfortable. It was like a light mist. It was perfect.

        Maxon sat beside me on the floor of the balcony. He held my hand and gave it an affectionate squeeze every now and then. His eyes were closed as he soaked in the fading light. A content smile played on his lips. I couldn't help but stare. Maxon looked so relaxed, so peaceful. This moment was so perfect. I never wanted it to end.

        My heart swelled with love. I was so lucky to have Maxon. I wasn't sure what I'd done to deserve him. He was so compassionate and kind. He had every reason to be arrogant, yet he was the most down-to-earth person I'd ever met. Maxon had stayed loyal even though I'd hurt him so many times. He was so patient with me even though I'd tended to lash out before he ever had the chance to explain.

        Maxon wasn't perfect, but to me, he was flawless.

        It had never been this way with Aspen, he never just enjoyed my company. He filled silence by kissing me. Long times of comfortable silence were rare, but sometimes a little quiet was what I wanted. To be able to think and know someone was right there next to if I needed them. I never had that kind of relationship with Aspen. He never seemed to understand that sometimes I didn't want to be kissed, I just wanted to held and feel loved. Aspen didn't seem to know that sometimes silence means more than words or actions.

        Maxon appeared to enjoy the quiet as much as I did. If he didn't, he played along anyways because that's what love is about. Two people who always try to make the other happy because they know it will make them happy too. You enjoy how they smile, the sound of their laugh, or the way that they look at you that warms you from the inside out.

        Love is selfless and strong. You put your partner's needs above your own. Love emboldens you to take risks and learn to trust. It teaches you how to respect and care about people. Love makes you fight for what is right and gives you strength to carry on.

        Whenever I looked at Maxon, I felt all of these things. I smiled and scooted closer to him, enjoying his presence. Maxon opened his eyes and gazed at me.

        His voice was soft as he spoke to me. "America?"

        "Yes, Maxon?"

        "I think- I think I'm better now. I just feel so happy and relaxed now. The nightmares have been gone for about two months. I barely even think about the South anymore. I'm ready to move on with my life- with our life."

        I was a bit skeptical. I wanted it to be true, but he might not be as better as he thought. "Are you sure?" I asked hesitantly.

        Maxon sighed. "Yes, I'm sure. You know it's true. You've seen the progress I've made. America, trust me. I swear to God I feel fine."

        He had been making progress and I was so proud of his determination. Maxon had worked so hard for so long. He wouldn't lie and say he was better as a way to give up. Maxon must really be feeling better.

        "Okay, I believe you." I smiled lovingly at him and he pulled me into a hug. Maxon held me tightly. I felt one of his hands slide from my back to my arm and down to my left hand. His fingers found my ring and gently slid it off.

        I pulled back and looked up at him. What was he doing?

        Maxon winked at me. He shifted from his sitting position and placed himself on one knee. Maxon pulled out my ring and smiled at me. My hand flew to my mouth so I wouldn't start sobbing with joy like last time. This was his way of saying he was ready to try getting married again.

        "America," Maxon started. "Last time I did this, I didn't tell you why. This time, I want you to know why I love you."

        "Every time I look at you my heart beats a little faster. Your smile is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. America, you always stand up and fight for what you believe in. You have a kind of bravery I wish I had. You don't want things to be just handed to you, you want to earn it. You give me strength every time you hold my hand or kiss my lips."

        "I can't seem to get enough of you. I know you love me. I see it in your eyes when you look at me. Sometimes, I think I can't love you more than I do at that moment. Then, you go and do something that proves me wrong. America, I want you to prove me wrong about that every second of every day for the rest of my life."

        I stared at him wide eyed. I felt so touched, a few tears escaped and slid down my cheeks. Maxon was being so honest, I felt compelled to tell him everything.

        I took a shaky breath and began. "Maxon, you're my whole world. I don't know if I could bear to lose you. You are so loving and kind and gentle. You always know just what to say to make me feel better. You said I fight for what I believe in, right? Well, I believe in you, Maxon."

        Maxon's mouth was forming an adoring smile. He stared into my eyes and said, "So, America, will you marry me- again?"

        "Of course, I will." Maxon took my hand and slid the ring gently back on to my finger.

        He stood and I got up with him. I put my arms around his neck. Maxon leaned down to kiss me. I stood on tiptoe so our lips would meet faster. When they did, I got a little lightheaded.

        We stayed there for what seemed like hours. Maxon and I only went inside once the sun had fully set.

A nice long chapter for you. 1242 words!! I'll start posting in parts in the next chapters. They are seriously long. In my journal, the next chapter is 12 pages and the one after that is 20 + pages. (It's still not done, even though it's been in progress for over a week)

Remember to VOTE, COMMENT, AND FOLLOW!!!!

I'd also like to know your thoughts on chapters from Maxon's POV and a bonus chapter in his POV from when he was taken to the South.

Okay, BYEEEEEEEEEEEEE