one

THE CLASSROOM LIGHTS switched on to a sickening bright yellow cascading down the rows of blue tables and grey chairs placed in messy snake rows. class chairperson huang renjun slipped into the room carelessly, slinking his bag on one of the chairs in front as he sunk deep down. he was sitting bleary-eyed and his eyes glazed over blankly at the green chalkboard in front of him. fatigue swooped over his lazy body, causing his arms to instinctively prop itself on the dusty blue table and lay his heavy head on it.

just as he was about to take a short nap before the school bell rang, two others barged in choking on their laughter, teeth showing bizzare lines of white and eyes creasing like crescent moons. renjun hissed, pushing his body up forcefully to give the biggest glare to the two intruders. nonetheless, they didnt seem to care about renjun's apparent annoyance.

"heya, class prez." the first one chimed, hair sickly parted in the center and a tooth grinning smile forked out that screamed foreign nature. the second one dipped into a seat next to renjun and quirked an eyebrow, as if in disbelief that renjun would be sleeping minutes before their first morning class started.

"dont call me that, i have a name, chenle." renjun countered back as he rolled his eyes. chenle stuffed his hands in his beige school pants, feeling amused. "funny how you'd usually have the urge to choke me whenever i mess around with ya. i was missing the forever angsty teenager, arent ya with me, jisung?" he piped up, the second boy on the seat nodding his head without much thought.

"didnt get enough sleep yesterday night." he replied curtly, facing the opposite side as he laid his head again on his crossed arms to indicate that he wasnt going to continue talking. jisung looked at chenle, who shrugged his shoulders and mumbled something about 'studying' and the younger boy gagged, turning to renjun to stare him down for answers.

"if you bother me one more time, you'll have a hearing from mrs yang on your multiple class ditches." renjun threathened as jisung hurriedly turned to chenle with a worried look.

"damn, ya, what a killjoy." chenle chuckled as mindless chattering started to become louder with every second.

the class door opened as hoards of other students filled the classroom quickly. the time read 8.23am, seven minutes before the first class. renjun groaned as he shut his ears and tried getting some quick sleep. chenle grabbed the seat behind jisung and settled down, seizing the conversation between the three.

students donning white and beige uniforms grabbed their seats in earnest, pulling chairs to form what was called a chat session amongst teenagers. gossips, scoops and latest news on anything they could have found on their mobile devices were shared. while some were talking about teachers and groundless school rumours, most were jotting down rushed homework answers, frantically asking their seatmate to lend their papers for reference. the class was filled with endless talking and occasional bursts of laughter. all seemed like it was going well that morning until the classroom door slammed open.

another student who wasnt from this class appeared, breathless, huffing as she tried to catch her breath. the class's attention was placed on that student as she finally got up from her bent down position and shouted.

"class 3-2 triple sciences jung su ah! she was killed!"

silence suddenly engulfed the room as everyone tensed up, their bodies stiff and staring at the random student standing at their front door waving her lit up phone screen frantically. renjun frowned, body posture straightening and staring at said random student. chenle's mouth gaped open at the sudden news and fished out his phone from his pants. tapping his phone furiously, his eyes widened at the screen.