Chapter Eleven - Concealed

Chapter Eleven
Concealed

You can't choose what stays and what fades away

~Florence + The Machine, No Light No Light

Faye didn't sleep. Not for the whole night. 

Every time she closed her eyes all she could see was Rick's mottled face, decaying in mounds of dirt, or Orlot being hoisted up into the sky and ripped apart, his blood spraying everything within range and, most nerve-wreckingly, watching the winged demons latch onto to Jamie and carry her, screaming, into the sky. 

She sat, curled up on the bed in the spare room, legs tucked under her chin and arms wrapped around them, rocking herself slowly into a numbness that settled into her bones, keeping her tethered to the reality of her situation - everything was going wrong. 

Everything had gone wrong... ever since that damned Fae girl had shown up.

Faye bit down on her lip as the bitter feeling she'd grown accustomed to after the first few days seeped through her, like venom in her veins - a jealousy that Wynella always seemed to arouse in her. 

The midnight black of the sky slowly faded to a dark purple, and then to a bluish tint as daylight hit the atmosphere, rays of light fanning out across the sky and chasing away the dismal night. 

Still, Faye did not move. 

She didn't know how long she sat, rocking and humming to herself, but it was at least nine when the door to her 'room' swung open. 

The familiar scent of Cale's natural, delicious aroma filled the room.

Only her eyes darted to the entrance - there he was, clad in a simple, black, V-necked t-shirt and denim jeans, hands crossed across his chest and golden eyes hard as they trained themselves on her. 

"Breakfast is almost over." He murmured, his eyes darting from Faye's face to the old clothes that she'd been in since they'd left their destroyed Academy to the new, untouched clothes still lying on the foot of her bed from when the owner of the house and Wynella's friend, Santino, had placed them there.

Faye said nothing.

With a sigh, Cale stepped into the room, clipping the door shut behind him.

The atmosphere tingled with possibilities, and for the first time since Wynella had led her into the spare bedroom, Faye moved, shifting her feet outwards so they splayed along the bed and leaned back on her elbows, her bust popping out - a move that came so naturally to her, that she didn't think twice about its provocative undertones. 

With a quick roll of his eyes, Cale sat on the edge of the bed, leaning his back against the wall where it was propped and eyed Faye. 

"You can't keep wallowing... you know that, right?" His tone came out sharper than she knew he'd intended, but she stayed silent, content with just watching him. 

Another sigh from Cale. Then his golden gaze softened, just a bit, as he spoke again. "Listen, I get it... Rick was... he was a good friend. And the way he died... And the way you saw Orlot die..." He paused, as though unsure of how to proceed. "Look. We're Hunters, okay? Death happens." 

Faye could feel the prickles of tears forming in her eyes. "To Jamie too?" 

Cale's breath sucked in sharply and he looked away. She could see his jaw clench beneath his skin. It was only then that she noticed the slightly dark circles beneath his gorgeous eyes, the ruffled look to his hair and the sag to his shoulders - he was taking this just as badly as she was... he was just better at hiding it.