Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter Three

My recently painted fire engine red front door creaked when it opened to reveal two people, who I had a sneaking suspicion would grow to hold a special place in my heart. I couldn't peel my eyes from either of them, with Mabel looking adorable in her cream knitted dress and pink striped tights and her hair up in pigtails. While Henry wore a pair of fitted dark blue jeans and a grey sweater, holding a bunch of flowers and a bottle of wine.

I welcomed them inside my home and closed the door, trying to keep the cold air out as it frosted up outside. Our plans to eat out at a restaurant ended up being dinner at mine as I was still waiting on the electrician to come put up my new light fixtures in the sitting room. The appointment time was three o'clock this afternoon, I doubted he was going to turn up now.

"It smells lovely in here," Henry said, smelling the air a bit as he handed me the flowers.

I took the beautiful bunch from his hands to study each flower. They were something else. Pinks, purples, oranges and greens, the petals just stood out. "It's a chicken roast. I hope that's okay with you both?"

Henry got down on his knees to help Mabel out of her converse shoes, nimble fingers working the laces while his face kept creasing into an almost shy expression when he caught me looking over at them. He whispered, "Sounds perfect."

Mabel used Henry's shoulder for balance when she shook her foot to loosen the shoe. It took a while, but it eventually flopped onto the floor, giving Henry the time to take his shoes off. Mabel spoke up. "I made you another picture, Miss Rose. Do you want to see it?"

I waved her into my sitting room to put the flowers on the coffee table for the time being to free my hands up for her masterpiece. I grabbed a seat on the sofa for her to follow me with Henry close by. "Another one for me? I feel so special."

My enthusiasm only spurred her excitement on more, as her giggles turned animated, wiggling around on the plush cushions to find a comfy spot. "Daddy, can you pass me my backpack?"

Henry released the Mini Mouse backpack from his shoulder to hand it over, widening his eyes when she slipped off the sofa to crash into his legs to grab it, watching her delve into the bag and pull out a piece of paper. "Sit back on the couch then, bubs."

Mabel rushed back, throwing herself down next to me to lay the drawing across my lap. This time it was a drawing of a frog. An explosion of pink and glitter. I paid particular attention to the glittering blue-coloured lake, wondering if our trip to the ponds inspired her.

My cheeks were aching from the strength of my smile."It's fantastic, Mabel. I love that you've drawn me a frog."

"I knew you would like it," she said, bouncing up and down a few times. "Didn't I say that, Daddy?"

"You did," Henry replied, standing where we left him near the television. Our gazes connected and he couldn't seem to stop his smile. "Mabel's been dying to give you it all day."

Mabel lifted both of her hands to cover her mouth and giggle into them. "I had to keep it a secret from you at school. Do you know how hard that was?"

I held the picture between my fingers, studying every beautiful detail as I brushed the glitter away from the edges. "Hard, I would imagine. You did so well to keep it a secret for this long. Are you thirsty? I have tea fit for a princess."

"Tea?" she gasped so loud it surprised me she didn't send herself into a coughing fit, throwing her gaze over to Henry. "Tea, daddy!"

Henry's eyes did their intense thing again, and I struggled to keep it together. Talk about dreamy. "Isn't that fantastic? You love princess tea, don't you, bub?" he said.