Chapter Four

(A/N: Yes, same as the last chapter, the art at the top is mine and I would appreciate it if no one reposted it or used it without my permission. I apologize for the long wait with this chapter, this month's been really busy lately. Sorry, and enjoy!)
_____________________________________

Curly sighed as they pulled into the drive-in diner. He and Pony ordered their food, and rolled down the windows to eat. 

"So," Pony started, " you gonna tell me what's goin' on with your hair, now?" he asked, unwrapping the cheeseburger.  Curly nodded, grabbing the pop they bought and twisting the cap off.

 "Yeah, alright Pony... ask away."

Pony smiled. "Alright, so how long have you dyed it blonde, Curly?" 

The older greaser nearly spit out his drink. "I don't dye it blonde, Ponyboy! Jeez kid, I thought with that head of yours you'd be smarter than that!" Curly frowned, running a hand through his newly-black hair. Pony was confused.

"Wait- then how'd your hair get yellow?" he frowned at his sandwich.

"It's just... naturally like that..." the JD mumbled. Ponyboy's eyes went wide.

"Stop tellin' me lies, Curly Shepard! I've known ya since fifth grade- I know your hair ain't blonde!" 

The taller kid just grimaced. 

"I know, Pony! I been dyin' it since before I met ya!"

The brunette took a moment to process this, just staring at Curly.

"Wait... so you're actually blonde? Like- really?" Pony asked in a hushed voice- from shock or discretion, Curly wasn't sure. The Shepard kid just nodded. The younger gasped, then smiled really wide. "Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my-"

"Kid, stop that," Curly raised his eyebrows. Pony just grinned.

"I never knew you were BLONDE!" he laughed, abandoning his food. The elder just snorted and started on his sandwich. "..like DALLY!" Pony whispered giddily. 

"Who else knows?" he asked.

"Uh, my brother and sister, you, a couple kids in our outfit, an' Dallas Winston.." he said, twisting an earring anxiously. Pony gaped again. "Dally knows?"

Curly nodded, frowning lopsidedly. "Oh my gosh, CURLY! Why didn't you tell me?- like when we were in school- grade school?"

Pony didn't let Curly get another word in before firing his next question. 

"Why do you dye it in the first place?"

Curly finished off his sandwich and tossed the wrapper out of the car.

"Well, it looks stupid all yellow like that, Pony, like a country kid or somethin'! We're Greasers, the only Greaser with blonde hair who looks tuff is Dallas. No one in our outfit- or any outfit- would take me seriously as a Shepard with blonde hair!" Curly ranted, balling his fists at his sides tensely. Pony just frowned, looking down at his hands quietly.

"I would..."

Silence. Curly's eyes went wide but he didn't turn to look at Ponyboy. 

"Yellow's my favorite color. I know everyone thinks it's gold but, it's yellow..." he said quietly. "I like your hair, 'reminds me of sunflowers..." he whispered softly. 

Curly looked over at Pony. "...what?"

"I like your hair, Curly," he repeated, " You can be tuff with blonde hair, look at Dally, he can do it. I bet you can too, you're one of the tuffest hoods I know, outside of Dally an' Tim."