The Threat

Specks.

Stars.

I see stars.

Is that Virgo?

"Wake up, runt." Someone flicked Kash's cheek, but it felt more like a gentle tap from a sledgehammer. "You aren't dead yet. Though once I'm through with you, you'll wish you were."

Kash hacked up a mouthful of dirt and insects, not sure which way was up and where their hands were. They didn't even have enough time to panic.

"I'll admit, using that flower box was a neat trick, but you didn't account on a few things. I'm faster than I look. Pretty light on my feet for a big guy."

Kash gaped up at Billy's towering frame, unable to do much else.

"You cost me a day with Una. So now I'm gonna have to take it out of your flesh." Billy stepped on Kash's chains as they tried to scramble away, no better than a slug in mud. "Don't worry, I'm not gonna rape you. But I've been meaning to trade for a new punching bag ever since I wrecked my old one."

Kash nearly cried.

"I forgot to mention." Billy chuckled, lugging Kash over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. "Your lamp has a certain range. Twenty miles outside and your body starts ta shut down. Your powers go. Your soul can't be too far from its other half or it self destructs. Think of it as your own personal security gate. Most people would kill for one of those, you know."

Kash dry heaved as Billy prattled on about his plans for him and his D'Jinn after he finally, finally, broke them in.

The last thing they saw were scuffed, barn sized boots, Billy's ass crack, and the Kash-shaped imprint they'd made in the dirt behind them.

.:.:.:.

After Billy finished beating Kash to a bloody pulp he waited a week before escorting them back to the Urlundi town center. 

He was being gratuitous, but Billy was nothing if not thorough. Kash's magic healed their bruises and broken ribs faster than normal, but the worst scars went far deeper than anything that can tear skin.

Kash crept behind Billy as docile as a lamb, chains noticeably slack, hands clasped in front like a bride. He didn't even need to tug or coerce them.

It was the same market. Same alleyway. Same time of day. Same sneering speech about what 'Billy deserves and what he don't.'

The trellis was noticeably absent and Kash could hardly see out of their left eye for the purple swelling.

Billy's warning to behave wasn't as harsh, mostly because Kash already knew the consequences for disobeying as clear as they understood the welts on their tender, plum skin.

I could throw myself in front of the carts. The horses would trample me to death. Billy won't have my Sight, I won't be bound to the lamp, and Una will live as a free woman who can fall in love with whomever she pleases. A win-win if I'd ever heard one.

But as soon as the idea crossed Kash's mind they knew they'd never do it.

Living wasn't much, but it was all Kash had.

So instead of dashing into oncoming traffic, Kash activated their Sight and plucked Una's thread out of the hundreds of others.

It took a bit of work, but after breaking a sweat and several blood vessels in their nose, Kash managed to tie Una and William's threads together in a flimsy knot. It was mild attraction at best, but even that would've been impossible without magical intervention.