Chapter 10

Maxon

"Hi! I'm Noni Novas' best friend and Alex's newfound mate. You must be Maxon," she said extending her hand; I shook it and nodded.

"I've heard so many things about you... both good and bad." She gave me a pointed look. "Hurt her and you die," she threatened. I watched her eyes go from a soft brown to an angry red color.

This girl was a Special.

It was then that Nova had noticed that we were still inches apart, she disentangled herself and put distance between us.

So much for the closeness, I thought angrily.

"I see that you two are getting on perfectly," she said wagging her eyebrows at Nova. Nova giggled slightly and nudged her as if to say shut up, while I gave her a timid blush.

"It's nice to have finally met Alex's mate. He's been complaining about not having one for the longest. Now he can stop begging girls to go out with him," I said, deflecting the spotlight off Nova and I. Alex blushed and gave me a mean stare. I held my hands up in surrender, laughing.

"So where are you girls staying," I asked trying to sound casual.

Smooth Maxon. Real smooth, Alex thought to me. I shrugged. I liked getting to the point.

"Well, I'm staying with my mate. What about you Nova? Are you staying with your mate," Noni asked.

I think I was wrong about this girl, maybe she was secretly on my side. She gave Nova a look, and it was easy to tell that they were talking through their pack link. I felt it when Nova joined another pack. It felt like another part of her was closed off to me and I couldn't figure out how to open it back up. To stay it scared, me was a very big understatement. I wanted nothing more than to go and find her and beg her to come back to me, but I knew she needed her space and I wanted her to have that.

Alex and I watched the silent conversation in, well, silence. I knew Nova was giving her every excuse known to man about why she couldn't and didn't want to stay with me. I was praying that this Noni chick could get her to change her mind. It seemed she was winning the argument because Nova began a series of sighs. Her face had the angry contortion to it, and it wasn't until she threw her hands up in surrender that Nova spoke aloud.

"Fine. I'm staying with you Maxon," she said.

Even though her voice was monotone, I could feel the excitement oozing out of her body and into mine. Or it could've been the other way around. Who cares, because I didn't. My mate would be staying with me in my room for the first time. My wolf was jumping for joy and if I wasn't trying to play the cool guy roll, I would've been too.

You know you don't have to play the cool guy with me Maxon, her voice rang through my mind.

It was like someone had struck a harp and a beautiful melody flowed from it. I heard a laugh pour through my mind.

I didn't know you were a hopeless romantic Maxon. I forgot that we could read each other's minds. Embarrassing...

I'm not. I'm just surprised you said you'd stay with me is all, I said. Struggling to remain cool.

I don't see why not... I am your mate, after all, am I not? I nodded. This girl didn't know what she was doing to me and how dangerous of a game she was playing. Or did she? Did she want me to mark her?

Slow down, cowboy. We have a lot of time for the marking. Tonight, we are just going to talk and cuddle. So be prepared and for Fates sakes clean your room, she said.