chapter 3

K.C.'s P.O.V.

Terri is just as beautiful as the day I left her 5 and a half years ago. Her hair and figure are a little different.  But she is still my beautiful Terri.

I didn't want to leave her all those years ago. But I had no other choice.  She said my other choice was her. But if I'd have stayed,  my parents would have made her life hell.

See, I'm an only child and my parents never really liked Terri or her family because they thought she was a gold digger.

My parents have a ton of money. We have so much it's not fair. But Terri's family has money too. So she doesn't need my parent's money.

My parents told me if i stayed, they would make sure Terri knew exactly how they felt about her. They never told me what they would do to her. But it can't be good.

So I'm gonna have to make this right with her somehow. But I have no idea how. And I know its going to take time. But it will be worth it if i can get her to forgive me.  I hope I can get her to forgive me. I do know I will never forgive myself for leaving her.

I'm at home now. And I've decided to go ahead and read the letters she sent that I never got. I told her it was probally an accident that they have her the wrong adress. But the more I think about it, they probably did that on purpose. 

I open the very first one she sent. It starts off like this:

Dear K.C.,

         I have something to tell you. But I also have questions for you. I went to your house that night. Your parents said you were already gone for football camp. I don't want to tell you this in a letter. But your cell number had been changed. 

Why did you leave me? Did I do something wrong? Was I not good enough? What ever it was I did or didn't do,  I'm sorry.

But I need to tell you something.  I'm pregnant.  The night I gave myself to you, we didn't use protection.  And you know I was only ever with you.  Don't worry about me and the baby. We will be fine. I just thought you should know that you have a child. So I'm gonna go now.

I still love you, 
Terri

I go on to read a few more letters. I read one that has an ultrasound picture in it and it goes like this:

Dear K.C.,

        I have wrote several letters to you hoping you would get at least one. But they all keep getting returned. I don't know what's going on, but it's starting to irritate me. I don't know what I've done to you or your family. I just thought you'd want to meet your child. I sent you the ultrasound so you could see our beautiful baby. If this letter gets sent back, I'll only write one more telling you exactly how I feel. I just want our baby to have a father. I figured you and your parents would want the same. I hope you get the chance to meet our child. I still love you, K.C.

Love,
Terri

I set that letter down and pick up the last one. I hesitate before I open it. I know I hurt her, and I know she's not afraid to speak her mind. I'm absolutely sure that's what she did in this letter.

Dear K.C.,

       Like I told you before, this is going to be the last letter I write to you. I still love you, but I can't keep holding on to the hope that you're going to come back to me. I have to live my life. It's not healthy for me or the baby to live in the past. It's been made clear that your family wants nothing to do with either me or my baby.

I'm doing what I should have done when you left. I'm letting you go. It's not fair that you're living your life, and I'm trying to keep what we had alive.

I do love you, but love isn't always going to work. Both parties have to work at it in order for the relationship to strive. I'm the only  one who seems to want our love to last forever. I can't put myself through any more stress. I hope you understand why I'm doing this.

You'll always be my first love. I just can't hold on to you forever.

Love,
Terri

I set the letter down and wipe the tears from my eyes. I knew I had hurt her, I just didn't know how bad it was. I hope I can get her to forgive me. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if she went on hating me.

I set aside the letters, and go through all the pictures. He really is a cute little boy. He looks almost exactly like me. There are a few features that he gets from Terri. Like her beautiful eyes. And her beautiful smile.

I'm gonna do every thing I can to prove to both Terri and our son that I'm sorry for leaving when I did. And I'm going to do all I can to get her to forgive me. I want to be with her and Jaxon. I have only ever loved her. I just hope I can get her to see that it's still her that holds the key to my heart.