chapter 5

K.C.'s P.O.V

I can't believe Terri agreed to give me another chance. I know I don't deserve her, but I'm going to do everything in my power to prove to her that she's the only one for me. Life without her is like not having oxygen to breath. I thought I was dying these past five and a half years.

"K.C., where are we going?"

"I told you that you'll see when we get there." She groans.

Another few minutes and we reach our destination. Terri groans again.

"Why are we here? You know your parents don't like me."

"We're here because I have some things to say to my parents."

"Well, I'm not going in."

"Yes, you are. I want you to hear what I have to say to them."

She groans yet again. It's really adorable. "Fine. Whatever."

She begrudgingly climbs out of my car. She helps Jax get out of the back.

I take her hand in mine and Jax takes her other one.
We walk up to the front door. I kiss Terri on the cheek before I open the door.

I walk in with them right behind me.

My mom comes rushing over to me. Her smile fades when she sees Terri and Jax. She's in for a surprise if she thinks she can treat them that way.

"Honey, who was at the door?"

My dad walks into the room now.

"It's K.C. He brought some guests."

"Who?" He stops in his tracks when he sees who she meant.

"Hey, K.C., Terri."

"Mr. Jameson, Mrs. Jameson."

"Terri."

Could their tones be any colder towards her?

"What brings you by here, son?"

"We need to talk."

"How about we sit down?"

"No thanks, mom. I'd rather stand."

"Alright. What's so important?"

"Well, it has to do with Terri and our son."

"Son? How do you know for sure that he's yours?"

"Terri wouldn't lie to me. Plus, I can see the resemblance."

"Do you honestly believe that he's yours? Have you had a DNA test done?"

I hear Terri's sharp intake of breath. "I don't need a DNA test to prove to me that he's mine. Terri says that I'm his father and I believe her."

"Well, you should know that she tried to force us to take care of him."

"She did no such thing. Why would she try to get the two most heartless people to take care of her son?"

"K.C., you take that back. Your father and I are not heartless."

"Yes, y'all are. You two have never liked Terri. That's why y'all sent me away to go pro, but that didn't work out. I just want to know what you two have against this amazing woman."

"You want the truth? Fine. She holds you back. You never wanted to expand your football career. We knew that if we didn't push you, you probably wouldn't have bothered to pursue any kind of career. She'd have you working multiple jobs and you'd still be broke."

I see Terri trying to walk out the door with Jax. I grab her arm to stop her.

"Don't talk about her like that. Especially with her son right in front of you, your grandson. Terri is the most amazing person on earth. I know I don't deserve her, but I'm glad I can call her mine. She's not the one who was holding me back. You two are. It was always what y'all wanted. You didn't even have the decency to tell me I had a son. You gave her the wrong address when she was trying to send me letters. Y'all are the reason I hurt her and our son. You couldn't even respect me, your only child. I have nothing more to say to either of you. I won't be coming back over here for family gatherings or just because I feel like it. I want nothing to do with either of you. I have a life to live now. A life that involves Terri and Jaxon. Good-bye."

I don't even wait for a response. I take Terri's hand again and lead them back outside. I take a deep breath.

Terri places her hand on my back. "Are you ok?"

I turn to face her. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Ok." She takes a deep breath. "I appreciate you sticking up for me and Jaxon in there, but are you sure you should write off your parents?"

"The only thing I've ever been more sure about is how much I love you." I give her a kiss just to prove that fact to her.

When I pull away, her face is flushed. She's just so damn adorable. I give her another quick peck before opening the car door for her. I then open the door for Jax and help him get settled.

Once we're all in, I quickly pull out of the driveway. When we're both breathing easy again, I make a suggestion. "How about we go eat lunch and then go to the park?"

"Yay!"

"Sure. I think it'd do us all some good to get some fresh air."

"Ok. Sounds like a plan then."

We drive to the nearest pizza palor. We get out of the car and walk inside. I immediately snatch a booth.

Jax climbs in one side while Terri climbs in the other. I scoot in right beside her. The waitress takes our drink orders.

After she brings our drinks and takes our lunch order, Jax turns to his mom. "Mommy, play car game."

"Sorry, baby. Mommy doesn't wanna play."

"Tay." He looks so sad.

"I'll play with you."

A smile comes across his face. "Tay! Come on, daddy."

He grabs my hand and drags me to the game. I glance back and see Terri smiling. These are the moments to live for. The moments we take for granted. Spending time with the ones we love will forever be the greatest thing on earth.