Eleven

I was standing next to Izzy watching Jace and Clary admire the Cup, more like each other. I glanced at Alec, who was looking at the monitors for any sign of intruders. I felt someone nudge my shoulder and I turned my head to see Izzy gesturing her head towards him. I shook my head because I didn't want to talk to him right now.

Izzy rolled her eyes at me before using her whip to grab the Cup out of Clary's hands. "There's nothing a Shadowhunter can't do in heels," She said while walking down the stairs.

I laughed while Jace went over to Alec. "Alec, what are you doing? You can stare at this monitor all you want, they need angel blood to get past the wards. You know that." Clary put the Cup back inside the card. "No Downworlder can come into the Institute."

"Not without an invite by a Shadowhunter," Izzy added.

Alec tore his gaze away from the screen. "Last I checked, Valentine is a Shadowhunter. The Cup is not safe here. We have to give it back to the Clave."

"Give it back to the Clave? No. Not after everything we went through to get it," Clary said.

I sighed. "I hate to say this, but Alec's right. The Cup is extremely important. The Clave will be able to lock it tight so no one, not even Valentine, could get their hands on it."

Alec gave me a shocked look. "Are you agreeing with me?"

Izzy came up and wrapped her arm around mine. "She's not the only one." Now, I gave her a shocked look. "I'm full of surprises."

Clary held the card up. "This Cup is the one chance I have at getting my mom back."

"I agree with Clary. We can't give the Cup to the Clave, not now. We need it. It's our only bargaining chip," Jace said.  He held my gaze. "Sam, you know I'm right."

"I know you are. But we can figure out another way to rescue Clary's mom without the Cup. We always do," I admitted.

"Maybe not this time."

"Look, I know how powerful this Cup is. It has the power to create new Shadowhunters, control demons, and even kill a mundane if they drink from it. But I promise you, I will not let that monster get his hands on it," Clary tried to persuade.

"There you go. You have her word."

I turned to Jace. "Her word doesn't mean anything unless she lives up to it. And that's one promise she can't live up to. She can promise all she wants, but there may be a way for Valentine to get the Cup. He might be planning as we speak." Clary looked down. I crossed my arms and smiled. "And when he does, we're going to take him down."

Clary smiled. "Really?"

"Yeah, we could finally kick some rouge Shadowhunter ass."

She pulled me in for a hug. "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

Alec sighed. "Follow me."

I gave her a thumbs up as she followed Alec towards the training room. I grabbed a chair and sat next to Jace. "You know, I'm always going to be by your side, right?" I stated.

"Like you are right now?" Jace joked as he gestured me sitting next to him.

I punched his arm. "I'm trying to have a twin moment with you."

He chuckled. "I know. And I know what you mean. I'll always be by your side, too. If I have to pick between the Clave and you, it's always going to be you."

I raised my eyebrow at him. "What if it's me or Clary? If Clary and I were in danger, who would you save?"

He shook his head. "That's not going to happen."