Sixteen

I was staring blankly at the wall with my arms crossed.  I tried to talk to Maryse, but she gave me the cold shoulder.  She hates me.  The woman who raised me as her own hates me.  Part of me doesn't blame her, yet there's this other part that's pissed.

She's mad at Alec for following his heart because it won't restore the Lightwood.  She despises me because I'm not the proper Shadowhunter for him.  I have a good reputation as a warrior, but not as someone who could uphold the Lightwood name.  This coming from the hypocrite that use to be a Circle member.

God, Valentine and Jocelyn are my parents.  I mean, my real parents.  My whole life is a lie.  I was raised by Valentine.  When he admitted being my father, I wanted to go with him.  He trained me to be a soldier and use my brain, not to be some weak useless Shadowhunter.  That got me even angrier.

"Something troubling you, dear?"  Magnus asked.

"I'm fine."  I said.

"Come on, you're finally with the man you love.  Surely, there must be a smile somewhere."

I finally cracked a smile.  That's the only thing that went right.  Alec and me.  After many years of just being friends, we're finally together.  I still can't believe it.

"I am happy about that.  It's just...."  I trailed off.

"Maryse doesn't approve of you."  He finished.

I nodded, "She wouldn't even look at me.  She's treating me like I'm some Downworlder."

"Trust me, Samantha, she will come around."  Alec came up to us with a defeated look on his face.  "On a scale of one to ten...how unpleasant was it?"

"Off the charts.  Yeah, I've never seen them so angry."  Alec said.

I sighed, "They hate me, don't they?"  Alec wrapped his arms around me.

"Just give them some time."  Magnus tried to reassure me.

I poked my head out of Alec's embrace, "You don't get it, Magnus.  Once Maryse and Robert have their opinion on something, there's nothing changing their mind.  So, time isn't really on our side."

Alec pulled away, grabbed my hand, and we began walking towards Robert's office, "After what I did, I don't think they'll ever forgive me."

"Don't underestimate a parent's love."  We stopped.  Magnus glanced at us.  "You don't regret it, do you?"

Alec sighed, "Everything happened so fast.  I didn't have time to think.  I just wanna make sure Lydia's okay.  Now, I owe her so much."

I wrapped my arm around Alec's, "We owe her.  She didn't have to do what she did.  But, she did anyways.  And I need to thank her for what she did for Izzy, and apologize for being a bitch towards her."

"You weren't a -"  Alec stopped with the look I gave him.  "Ok, maybe just a tad bit."

"And as soon as that's done, why don't we go on that date you owe me?"  I smiled at him.

Alec smiled back, "Yeah, let's do that."  He proceeded in kissing my cheek.

Magnus decided to be our date planner, "Perfect!  I know this great Ethiopian place on 44th, you guys -"

Alec cut him off as we went inside Robert's office, "Lydia!"  Oh, god.  Lydia is knocked out on the broken table.

I knelt down next to her and checked her pulse.  It's there, but just barely.  I turned to Magnus, "Get help."

He ran out of the room as Alec began drawing on her healing rune, "You're gonna be okay."

"Hodge..."  Lydia trailed off weakly.