CHAPTER 27

"Hi, Luke" I greeted, entering his apartment, which, luckily, was just above his coffee shop. Harry was following behind me and surprised both, Luke and I, when he engulfed Luke's slim body in a very masculine bro hug. "Thanks, mate." Harry said, after letting him go. "Yeah, anytime, man." Luke awkwardly nodded.

All three of us made our way to his living room and, as soon as we reached his couch, it was my turn to give Luke a tight hug. "Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this means to me." I thanked and he returned by wrapping his long arms around my waist and lifting me off the ground.

"It's okay, little girl." Luke smiled, after putting me down, using a nickname that he hadn't used in a very long time. He started calling me 'little girl' after we both hit puberty and he got almost a foot taller in matter of a few months, while I was still the same height. Although I lost a bunch of weight, giving the illusion that I was a bit taller, I actually hadn't gained a single inch.

"I'm sorry about the coffee shop, though." I said, sitting down next to Harry on the couch and he immediately wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer. Luke sat on the chair across from us and smiled at Harry's sweet gesture. "It's fine, Mel. I can see now how important he is to you, I couldn't go through with that." He shook his head, before continuing.

"I can't believe I almost trade our friendship for money. Fuck, I almost threw an innocent person on jail for money, I don't know what I was thinking, I'm really sorry, to the both of you." He looked down, in shame, resting his elbows on his knees and intertwining his fingers.

"Hey, it's fine, Luke, at the end of the day you didn't do that, it's all good now. I knew you would come around eventually." I winked and scooted closer to the edge of the couch, reaching out to grab his hands and giving him a reassuringly squeeze. He gave me a shy smile and looked at Harry. "It really is fine, we both understand where you were coming from. I'm just glad you changed your mind." Harry said and chuckled.

"Anyways, we came here to help you clean up the mess." I smiled shyly and Harry scratched the back of his neck. "That's really not necessary, guys. I've already put you through enough." I got up and pulled Harry from his seat. "Don't be silly, Lucas." Luke laughed at the nickname I knew he hated. "Yeah, I mean, it's partially my fault, so... It's the least I can do." Harry smiled and held my hand.

"Yeah, okay, I could you some help." Luke was interrupted by his ringtone. "Just hang out around here for now, I need to take this, it's my mom." He rolled his eyes, before exiting to the kitchen. "Tell Liz I said hi!" I shouted and he murmured an 'okay'.

I was looking forward to spend the day with both of my favourite people. It would help me clear my mind and forget about everything for a few hours. I guessed Harry knew that when he suggested that we made a visit to Luke to thank him. I was in desperate need of a distraction and that was the perfect way of helping me getting over everything.

"Good news, guys!" Luke chimed from the kitchen. "Apparently, my mom still has a college fund for Ben and, well... since he isn't going to use it, she'll lend me the money to fix the shop and I can pay her back whenever... I'll still try to negotiate with the people from the insurance, though, at least see if they can cover some of the loss." He blurted out, putting a smile on Harry's face and a sad one on Luke and I's.

"That's actually great!" Harry grinned. "Who's Ben?" There it was. I was hoping Harry would let that go, but if I were on his shoes I don't think I would, too.

When we were both 10, Liz got pregnant with Ben. We were all really excited because she was trying to have another baby for years. She already had Luke and Jack, but she really wanted another boy and when they all found out that it was, indeed, another baby boy, they threw a party to celebrate.