Chapter Twenty-Four-Maybe She's Right

Athena stood with her feet shoulder length apart and her hands clenched at her sides. King Buledal stood a little ways in front of her standing the same way. Suddenly, he formed a silver ball in his hands and flung it towards Athena. She quickly caught it as she spun around on one foot. Once she had made a complete circle, she shot the ball of light back towards King Buledal.

King Buledal caught it easily in his hand. He looked at her approvingly. "Very good, Athena. You catch on well."

Athena stood up straight and gave him a quick nod. "I've been told I'm a fast learner."

"Those people would be correct." The ball of light in his hands disappeared as he came closer to Athena. "We've been working for a while now. You may go for the rest of the day."

Athena sighed gratefully. She turned to leave when King Buledal stopped her.

"How do you think you respond when a King dismisses you?"

Athena stopped and turned back around. She bowed to him and gave him a fake smile before turning away. She pushed through the doors and quickly walked away from the room. She heard heavy footsteps behind her and assumed it was Kassach. She didn't turn to look until she was back at her door.

Kassach was just a few feet behind her. "You did well," he complimented her.

"Thank you," she sighed as she turned to open the door.

"You know where to find me if you need anything," Kassach reminded her before he turned and walked away.

Athena watched him leave and waited until he disappeared before closing her door and turning the opposite way Kassach left. She found the door to the dungeons and slowly opened it. She cringed as the creaking of the door got louder as she pushed it. Eventually, she slipped through a crack just big enough for her and let the door close behind her. She then descended the stairs and peaked around the corner. Seeing no one, she turned into the hallway and searched for Celso's cell.

Finally, she found it. "Hi," she breathed.

"Athena?" Celso quickly got up and tried to move towards her, but the chains wouldn't allow him to move.

Athena brought up the keys that she was hiding behind her back. "Don't hurt yourself." She unlocked the cell door and stepped inside. Immediately, she wrapped her arms around Celso. She buried her face into his chest and sighed as she felt his arms wrap around her waist.

"Where's your bodyguard?" Celso asked.

Athena looked up at him. "Not here." She cupped his face in her hands and pulled his head down for a kiss. The separated just enough for Celso to lean his forehead on hers.

"I've missed that," he breathed.

Athena smiled. "I'm going to get you out of here." She looked up at him. "All of you."

"Athena-"

"I can do it," she confidently told him. "I've already learned so much about my magic and how to use it. I can get us all out of here."

Celso sighed as he wrapped his arms tighter around her when he heard footsteps coming from the hallway. He glared at Kassach as he stopped outside his cell.

"I wondered where my keys went," Kassach calmly said.

Athena twirled the keys around her finger and threw them at Kassach. "Who else would have your keys?"

Kassach caught the keys with both hands. "King Buledal's teaching you too much," he teased her. "It's late, Athena. You should be getting some sleep. King Buledal will want you back in training first thing in the morning."