Chapter 6

From behind the door to the Ball Room, Maia could hear certain announcements being made. The first one was for King George of Haster. She couldnt see him entering but according to what Laurie had said, he will be standing right on the stage near King Gaston and King Orton. Maia's heart beat anxiously. Someone from somewhere of her soul said that this ball will be the beginning of something. She felt that it would be better if she could have run off. She started cursing her life as a Princess.

Soon even John and Laurie left her. They had to go to the room and stay there. Placing a kiss on both her cheeks the brothers, said with a paternal air,
"Maia, walk with dignity.  Eye contact- straight. Speak clearly. Smile at everyone and....."
The brothers felt speechless. What could they say? It was a marriage against their sister's will. A marriage that will put an end to all her warrior dreams. A marriage that will snatch away their brave sister and turn her into a good-for-nothing wife. Still, suppressing their feelings, they said,
"Good luck my dear.  May you enchant everyone."

With these words said, they turned to leave when Laurie came near  Maia's ears and whispered in a mournful tone

"No matter what happens, always follow your heart Maia. For, this is your only chance.There's nothing more to say."

Maia couldn't find out its meaning but she gazed gravely at her brothers departing. But her soul had listened to Laurie's last words and that was enough. It was.

Maia smiled to herself and was ready to enter. She heard these words being recited in a monotonous beat of voice,
"Ladies and Gentlemen, Now, let us invite the most important person tonight, who will enchant you with her presence- Lady Maia Reveron of Nimartha.

For once she was proud, she was of Nimartha, and she said to herself,
"Untill I die, noone can take away Nimartha from my name and as long as I have it In my bosom, noone can defeat me!!"

And with a cheerful smile, Lady Maia entered the room. She dropped a curtsey to the audience followed by one to all those who stood on the stage.

It surprises me- Maia's courage and will. She didn't even care to look at King George who was standing next to her. Such a Lady, with such audacity is a rare and worthy pearl.

King Gaston rose to speech and there was a sudden hush in the room. He began,
"I am in great happiness and pride tonight. My daughter , no, Our daughter, Lady Maia, she is to be married to King George of Haster.
No father will ever be this proud to get such  a daughter. My Maia is the most bravest and strongest lady in the entire universe. She is the reason behind ours and Nimartha's success."

George laughed to himself wickedly. He sais to himself, " if Maia is your sucess I am going to take it from you."

"Maia, no matter wherever you go, whatever you become, you will always be the Daughter of Nimartha.
Let the ball begin."

Soon the music showered and the ball lights were on. Maia descended the stairs and stood in a corner looking at young people dance. She wondered- so many people are here today to see their beloved Princess being given away.
With thoughts and tearful feelings, the Lady stood in one side with a heavy heart and aching spirit. Her stubborn emerald green eyes were lost in thoughts but they looked straight and stubborn as if they were searching for a saviour.

But a voice soon killed her thoughts,

"Care to dance Mi'Lady?"

Yes, it was her fiancé-  King George Goddard of Haster.
For my dear readers, I don't care to say about his looks.
He was in his mid twenties with brown hair and black button eyes. Like every other King, he looked serious. There was a doubtful way in which he tried to plaster a smile on his round, sun tanned face. He was masculine and just a few inches tall from Maia.