Never, Ever, Kick a Werewolf, Please

As we go upstairs, I manage to get ahead of Nick. I keep him close behind me, while Sapphire is in front of both of us. We look around.

"Well, no broken doors," Sapphire says.

"That means she is in the house," I say.

"But where is she?" Nick asks.

Right after he says that, Angie runs right past us. I manage to grab her arms and hold her still. She tries to get away, but I'm just strong enough to hold her.

"Angie," Nick says before Sapphire can say anything,"Calm down. Look at me."

She stops for a moment, but then she starts trying to shake herself free. She almost escapes, and I spontaneously kick her behind her knee, knowing it probably won't hurt her. Instead, it hurts me.

Pain shoots through my foot in a shock wave. "Aarrrggh!" I almost let go of her. I forgot that werewolves have bones literally as strong as steel. Standing on one leg, I keep her in my grasp.

"Angie," Sapphire says, "you aren't you right now. It's hard to explain, but I can't begin until you calm down."

This doesn't do anything to help her. Nick tries again. "Look at me. Breathe. I'm here. We all are."

She stops and catches her breath. I know it's over when she doesn't look as panicked as she did before.

"What just happened?" She asks quietly, confused. I let go of her.

"Where do I begin?" Nick asks.

"You don't," Sapphire and I say simultaneously.

"Sapphire knows the answers for this one," I explain. "It's best to let her handle it. Besides, you probably have more questions. Let's go back downstairs."

He doesn't protest. We walk back down silently. It isn't until we reach his room that he asks me anything.

"Does anything else happen during the transformation that I should know about?"

"I'm glad you asked. I almost forgot one more thing. Vampires and werewolves have finely tuned senses. These will probably develop as well. Trust me, it's not fun, and it takes a lot of time to get used to, but it does get easier."

"Good to know."

"You're so okay with this."

"Honestly, I feel like my brain is exploding. But this is going to happen. You proved that. I might as well accept it," he shrugs.

"I should warn you, when you wake up tomorrow, you'll feel like you've been hit with a ton of bricks. You'll be really sore and really tired. It'll probably go away after a few minutes. It helps if you get up and move around."

"Should I attempt to go to school tomorrow?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. It depends on how you feel. I was able to manage two days of school during my transformation."

"I have to go tomorrow. I have a few tests that I can't miss."

"Dad can can call the school and get you out of it if you need. Just know I won't be here tomorrow, since I have to go to school, too. Actually, you and Angie will be here alone if you decide to stay. You'll be fine, though."

"You're sure?"

"Positive. You should probably get some sleep now."

"Will do," he replies.

I leave his room and close the door. I hear Sapphire talking to Angie in her room. I question whether or not I should enter. I decide not to and head upstairs. The silence upstairs at night is usually calming, but tonight, it is unsettling. I wasn't planning on transforming tonight, but I'm finding myself needing to get out.