1 / damned

okay, so this here is the first chapter of my first ever story called damned. it was up on wattpad for awhile, but i took it down once it hit about seven chapters and 9k reads, i think! this was my first time writing as well, and funfact: i've only been writing and reading for about less than a year. so i just thought it'd be interesting to put it up here, for old times sake ;) enjoy my trash!

***

"It's almost midnight! The countdown's going to start soon!" I battled with the blaring music over the sea of intoxicated teens, who clogged the room's every corner.

Overthrown by nightfall, the neon strobe lights bounced off the walls and bodies dirty dancing trapped me in the centre of their mess, each span of skin sticky as they obliviously shoved me around with shoulders and hips. I picked up whiffs of odour, booze, and even the distinct scent of sex in the vicinity, invading my lungs as I pushed my way through the crowd. The heavy, rambunctious thumps pounding the walls were like shots of adrenaline, pumping a certain high into the blood of the teens, rousing their filthy acts.

Yet, in spite of all these events, my eyes were fixed onto a single presence, a foot away from me. It was dark, but I could see him - the only man my eyes could lay on. He reached out between the crowd and weaved his fingers into mine, igniting this burning spark I still wasn't used to the feeling, and each time it made my heart pick up a pace not any slower than sixty miles a minute, nonetheless a spark I couldn't be without. I pulled myself to him and followed hastily, keeping close to his back like he was my knight in shining armour, shielding me from the messy throng of delinquents as we left the room. We fell out of the flood and stumbled into the backyard to catch the impending performance.

"3... 2... 1... Happy New Year!"

Opening with a popping crackle then an ear-splitting screech, bursts of sparks shot into the night ― their sky-bound destinies. Wisps of cobalt twirled, while flames of scarlet and amber pranced, and hints of chartreuse and orchid waltz over the royal blue theatre. With every step they took, moves were swept in the form of marvellous curves that bloomed like newborn flowers.

Each stride burned with impatience, each always exclusive and exquisite, never the same. Taking a deep breath, I marvelled at the glowing bundle of blazing colours splayed in the cool evening sky, like a rainbow in the night. I took a look around me to see if I was the only one gaping at the beautiful dance, and wasn't surprised to see that the rest of the audience too was staring at the navy stage, their eyes seared with the display above and glinting with wonder. Grinning wildly, my eyes then set back on the act.

Eventually, each member ended their dance by gracefully extinguishing into nothingness, the heavy curtains of the dark closing their act. The fine spectacle of the fireworks, along with the bright, sated smile of the moon hanging above, made our own finale even more perfect than I thought it could be. My eyes averted to the beautiful boy beside me, who was already gazing at me with soft, sweet tenderness

He came a step closer, and if I'd tilted my head up, my nose would've bumped his chin, and with the plane of my tummy against his, I could feel the warm heat from alcohol's repercussions seep from his body to mine through the thin fabric between us. His strong arms snaked around the dip of my waist and pulled me closer, before securing his hold with the clasp of his two hands to rest on my tailbone. Our faces were now one on one as our foreheads fell onto one another's.

"Happy new year, baby," he whispered, the words slightly slurred out and heated breath softly spurted against my lips as he spoke, notes of cherry vodka coated each exhale. I giggled at the adorable boy before me, cupping his cheeks, as we reached in and ―