CHAPTER 29 - Subsurface (Phoenix)

Though the desert heat intensified as the sun rose, Phoenix felt a frigid truth chilling him to the bone. Goosebumps raced across his left forearm and had the same ghostly sensation on his missing right arm, which played with his mind and toyed with his emotions. He imagined his hand and fingers flexing in the dim lighting, a haunting glimpse from the past. He shoved the images away. Clamped his eyes shut for a few seconds as starbursts of light danced across his vision. He needed clarity to navigate the path ahead of him.

Phoenix gazed around the room with renewed focus. There were so many ways to go about rounding up a crew of astronauts for a deep space mission. For one, Admiral Jax could have called them, or video chatted with them using the new hologram feature on the latest ePhones, which would have been less confrontational. If he didn't want to do that, he could have emailed a report with the official seal of the United States Navy and a scan of his personal signature. Even snail mail would have worked, although most people frowned at the use of paper these days. Or, if he didn't want to leave any electronic or tangible trace or link to himself, he could have dropped by in person and ask them face to face. Of course, according to Luna, he did that for her. But the fact he had them kidnapped spoke volumes. It meant they didn't have a choice, like he said they had. It meant there never was a choice, and it signaled a daunting reality; no one outside a select few knew they were here... and they were going all the way, like it or not.

Phoenix led them through the opening in the back wall. The corridor beyond felt colder because of a vent above his head. The system hummed and blew a steady hiss of air on his hair and face, but it felt refreshing compared to the previous room. Relaxing and safe. Better than the desert. Maybe. He didn't look to see if everyone else was coming or not, but he heard their footsteps as they followed, and the sound of their gasps and exasperated sighs.

With a whisper, door number two sealed shut behind them. For a moment, total darkness surrounded them. Phoenix's heart rate ticked up a notch and a hard lump swelled somewhere in his chest. Then two parallel strips of blue light switched on along both sides of the hallway's floor. His pulse slowed, and he caught his breath.

Surprised moans rang out in the close quarters.

Phoenix ignored them, leading the way toward a set of steel doors that looked like an elevator. He drew near and raised his hand. A shimmer of red light flickered over his fingertips. He had triggered an auto sensor hidden from view in the walls. The laser-like light only became visible when activated by movement. The doors spread apart, revealing a box compartment inside, lit by a dull white glow from above. His previous assumption appeared to be correct. It was an elevator.

There was no automated voice from above that told them to enter. Nothing. Not even the spooky rasp of Admiral Jax's voice chiding them on from a speaker hidden in the wall. They had no further instructions to follow, but forward, into the elevator, was the only way they could go. Phoenix stepped aside and opened a palm toward the entrance. At first, the rest of the group showed reluctance, but after a brief hesitation, they entered without a word. Dr. Fairhaven's eyes scanned above, beneath, and all around. Luna and Callisto did the same. Was it a trap? A trick? Or was there nothing to worry about? Who knew, but they were all in it for the long haul.

After Phoenix stepped inside, the elevator doors closed. There were no buttons to push, no control panel, only interior walls that reflected their images in dull silvery blurs like polished sheet metal. The compartment descended on its own, vibrating as it sped up. Without the digital readout that most elevators had, counting down the floors as they went, Phoenix could only imagine how deep they were going below the surface. Ten or fifteen seconds into the ride, the box rumbled and slowed, and finally, after a long and quiet, almost breathless descent, the elevator came to a halt.

The doors parted, flooding the compartment with light.

The brilliance blinded Phoenix. He held up a hand to shield his eyes until his pupils adjusted. He had expected a murky cave to greet them and wasn't expecting the light to be so bright this far beneath the surface, but it only fazed him for a moment and then he grew accustomed to it.

Phoenix inched forward into a chamber with white walls that curved around in an expansive circle, rising four stories high. The glossy finish reminded him of the medical bay aboard the U.S.S. Fortitude. From where they stood outside the elevator, the ground level appeared like a courtyard with a large glass laboratory squared off in the center. Doors and windows lined each floor, the upper-level walkways rimmed with waist-high protective glass, topped with chrome handrails. At first glance with all the doors and walkways, it had the feel of a futuristic hotel, but Phoenix knew it was something much more... an advanced research facility deep underground, beneath the most inhospitable place on Earth.

Distracted by the gleaming handrails and reflective glass, he turned to the right and took a step, but his foot bumped into a potted fern. He almost tripped but thrust out his only arm for a counterbalance and caught himself before he hit the floor.

A hand appeared on his shoulder to steady him. It was Dr. Fairhaven, always a help in time of need.

Callisto and Luna fanned out around him. They were like a group of rag-tag explorers in a new subterranean world. 

Lab workers in white coats scurried about their business as if they had expected Phoenix and the group tagging along with him the entire time. No one turned to take notice. Everyone was busy, as if they were on a mission. Phoenix could only assume anyone who made it this far had been given proper clearance. One thing was certain; no one would make it past the robot soldiers outside without some heavy-duty firepower. He supposed the facility had a wide range of defense mechanisms. Motion sensors and security cameras that set off alarms and triggered counter measures. There would be perimeter tripwires as far out as the mountains that surrounded the surface building. There might be land mines. Artillery weapons of different size and caliber. Maybe even droids that raced across the desert floor or drones that zipped through the air, eliminating targets. No one was getting close to this place without being shot, maimed, or blasted to bits.

Phoenix wandered further into the courtyard, his gaze drifting around the interior. His thoughts centered on the obvious. How did they hollow out the core of this subterranean chamber and construct such a facility? Anything was possible, he knew, but this was quite a feat.

"Commander Drake," an all too familiar voice said from behind him. "Welcome to Site B."

"Site B?" Phoenix wheeled around to see Admiral Jax with his usual snarling expression.

"That's what we call it."

"That's original."

"Ms. Skye, Mr. Tenzing, and Dr. Fairhaven." The admiral ignored the comment, opening his hand to a woman who stood beside him. "I would like you to meet someone very important. She'll be directing you from this point forward."

Phoenix shifted his gaze to the woman standing next to the admiral.

Burnt-orange locks spiraled past her shoulders, resting on her lab jacket. Her eyes were a stunning sapphire blue. Phoenix couldn't get over how smooth and youthful her complexion looked.

"It's about time you all got here," she said, her smile revealing perfect white teeth. "I've been looking forward to trying the serum on you... and meeting all of you... of course."

"Woe, hold on a minute," Phoenix said. "What are you talking about? What serum? And who are you?"

"My apologies, Commander," the Admiral replied. "This is Dr. Sarah Lawson."

"She has a name," Luna cut in. "That's good."

Callisto said, "That doesn't help us."

"What's this talk of a serum?" Dr. Fairhaven asked.

Phoenix took in the worried glances from the rest of the group. "Yeah, what about this serum? Whatever it is, you make it sound like version 1.0. We're not guinea pigs."

"Relax," Dr. Lawson replied. "I've already perfected it. I have living proof that it works."

She didn't blink. Neither did Phoenix. "Why do we need it? We're not sick. I don't get it."

"You will get it, Commander," Admiral Jax said. "Dr. Lawson is a miracle of science, and she has quite a story to tell. I think you should listen."