CHAPTER 10 - The Titan X Project

Sarah folded her arms as the elevator doors closed. In contemplation, she brought one hand up to her chin, her forefinger caressing the area below her lower lip. As unreal and futuristic as the TXP Facility seemed, none of this surprised her after her stint on Arcturus, and that was twenty-five years ago. But what piqued her interest was Wolf's shameless plug regarding the place. If the surface level of the facility appeared so grand, what secrets might the subterranean levels hold? She had a feeling she would soon find out.

Wolf pushed the button labeled number seven, and the elevator began its descent. "We should talk about Jake."

"No, we shouldn't." Sarah cut her gaze toward him with a sidelong glance. A spark ignited behind her eyes. "It would be best for you to drop the subject now."

"I'm sure it bothers you knowing he's stranded on that ice ball moon."

Sarah's brow rose a notch higher, overshadowing the fire heating her cheeks. "It bothers me knowing that if it weren't for any of this," she waved her hand about, "he wouldn't be in this predicament."

"But it's been so long since you've seen him; I thought you would have moved on by now. I tried to tell the admiral—"

Sarah's hand flew up without warning.

The back of Wolf's head slammed against the wall of the elevator. He cried out like a hyena caught in the grip of a lion.

Sarah didn't remember how she started choking him, her hand clutching his neck, her fingernails digging into his whisker laden skin. She only knew she had him pinned, and he was gasping for air, gagging sounds bursting from his throat. He tried to force her hand away, but she tightened her strangle hold.

"Let go." He gargled more than said. His voice echoed somewhere distant. He was saying her name.

"Sarah," he cried.

Like waking from a dream or one of her trances, the episode ended. She came to herself, shaking her head and trembling all over. The violent outburst left her mind reeling in a whirlwind of oblivion. With a gasp, she released Wolf and shrank away into the corner of the elevator. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—"

"You didn't mean to choke me half to death?" Wolf spat. His eyes bulged and watered, his face flushed red. He caressed his throat, emitting small grunts while panting and grimacing. He bent over at the waist, heaving for breath. "You... you were trying to kill me."

"Maybe you should watch what you say?"

He blinked at her, coughed to the side, still gagging on the fresh air flooding his lungs. "You've gone bat-rabies mad. Maybe I should shoot you with the dart gun? Keep you under control."

Sarah remained silent. When the doors opened to the seventh subfloor, she glanced away, unable to justify what she had done. When she couldn't take standing beside Wolf any longer, she exited the elevator and paused in the empty hallway, waiting for him to join her. In the wake of her outburst, she held the door open, allowing him the opportunity to gather his nerves and calm down. Seconds ticked by as he swallowed, rubbing his neck, his eyes becoming less wild. Once he pulled himself together, he strode out into the hallway, his ego appearing bruised as he waved for her to follow him.

"Come on, this way," he said, a creak in his voice.

Wolf led her down a corridor hewn from rough-rock and lined with doors. Polished black marble tile covered the floors and reflected a glare of the overhead lights. He stopped at a door identified with the number seven. He pressed his palm against a black plate on the wall. With a metallic click, the door unlatched and cracked ajar.

He pushed inside and glanced back at Sarah. "This is your room. It's easy to remember. The seventh floor on the way down, and the room number is seven." Then he added with a sarcastic flare, "I'm sure you won't have any problem remembering this, seeing you never forget."