Chapter 11: A Night to Remember

Chapter 11:

A Night to Remember

            Selene was beginning to get desperate in her attempts to guess the king’s name. It was the night of the dance, the day before the Samhain ball, and she had yet to guess the king’s name correctly. Even after the research that she had done on names that mean light or sun or have a Christian origin she was unable to find the right one. The week off didn’t mean anything to her anymore, she just hated picturing the king’s smug expression when she had failed to guess his name correctly. Now she was down to her finale few names and she prayed that they were the right one.

            “Are you ready to get this night of mediocrity out of the way?” Lilith asked as she appeared out of nowhere, a trick that Selene had become used to over the course of the week.

            Selene looked up from where she knealt over her duffle bag and smirked when she saw “Philip” sitting with “his” legs crossed in a very feminine pose on her bed. She smirked at the picture before her as she packed the last of her things that she needed for the weekend stay.

            “I must say, Phil, you look very handsome dressed as a vampire,” she stated, a smirk on her face.

            Lilith’s male face scowled at her mortal friend. “Hardy, har, har, you are so funny. Instead of the witch perhaps it would have been more fitting if you picked the clown costume.”

            Selene ignored Lilith’s remarks as she zipped up her bag and stood up to reveal she was already dressed in her witch’s dress and striped tights. She was a little concerned at the depth of the neck line and the length of the hem but it was Halloween and dressing scandalous is something that is expected of girls so she decided to roll with it.

            The demoness looked the girl from top to bottom and smiled. “Not bad, you should dress like this more often. You’d have better look with men if you did.”

            She rolled her eyes at her demon friend and placed her hat on her head and Dante on her shoulder. “Hopefully Alice is done so we can go,” she stated as she walked out of her room and down towards where Alice’s was, Lilith following along behind her.

            When Selene pushed open the door she saw Alice planted firmly in front of her vanity mirror, adding a second coat of paint to her face by the looks of it. Selene leaned against the door frame of Alice’s room. The blonde finally turned towards the door where Selene was standing and arched a brow at Selene’s makeup-less face.

            “You’re going all-natural tonight then?” Alice asked.

            Selene nodded. “Come on Alice it’s a dance, not the Oscars. Finish up so we can go.”

            Alice snorted at Selene’s remark and went back to her vanity mirror. “It may be just a dance to you but for me it’s a chance to regain my cool status.”

            Selene’s brows knitted together. “How so?”

            The blonde girl finished with the makeup around her eyes and placed her tools on the vanity top. She rose from her seat and inspected her zombie attire in the mirror. “I heard that that crown a king and queen of the dance based on the best costumes. Every person that’s ever won has automatically been admitted into the school’s cool inner circle so if I win then I’m back in the game…”

            A smirk went across Selene’s face. “And you wanna show your sister up tonight too, don’t you?”

            Alice faced Selene with a confident smirk on her face. “Damn right I wanna show her up!”