Chapter 1

Arobynn was pacing the room wondering where on earth she was. That dammed girl he thought rushing off to gods knows where to do hell knows what. He paused hearing a creak coming from upstairs. The window shutters insisted on creaking during the winter. But where on earth is that child. "Arobynnnn." A voice drawled while footsteps clicked down the stairs "Did you miss me so much that you had to create a track in your precious carpet." "Celaena," Arobynn growled "Where the hell have you been?" raising his voice as he continued speaking "Snuck out in the middle of the day without leaving so much as a note and only coming back seven hours later." He was shouting now "What if our enemies had got you? Eh what then would you just adlib out of it, that's not something you can do. Next time leave at least a note. Got it." Celaena grinned sadistically "Aww Arobynn were you worried about me." She said in a sing song voice "Don't worry little Arobynn. I was only out doing my job."

"Which job did you take exactly?" he asked menacingly, eyes boring holes into Celaena. "The ballroom one." She replied with a happy note. "You took the ballroom job. Where dozens of our enemies are? Where the politics and gossip are so thick you could cut it with a knife? That ballroom job?" Celaena pouted "I just wanted to where my dress."

A tic had formed in his jaw now "You took the hardest job we currently have." Celaena looked down "So that you could wear you new dress. Is that correct?" Avoiding eye contact she mumbled "Yes." Arobynn shook his head "What the actual fuck. How much do I have to deal this? You and your – your Celaenaness. What the hell am I going to do with you."

Celaena squirmed under his glare "Um, you could buy me a new dress." She mumbled. "What happened to the blue one I bought you yesterday." Arobynn groaned as she shrugged off her coat "I may or may not have worn it to the ball." Gods Arobynn thought why does she have to do things like this. "You wore that dress knowing what our job entails" she grinned manically at this "Yuup I wore it cause one of the little aristocrats insulted me yesterday, so I decided to show off in this dress."

"You got the dress covered in blood Celaena." Arobynn deadpanned. "Oh, wow I never noticed, thanks for pointing it out Arobynn." "I don't know whether your being serious or sarcastic." He said. "The correct words are badass and sassy, Silly Arobynn but that's beside the point. Look what he did to my dress" she wailed. What is with this girl, he groaned, all she ever thinks about is books, clothes and murder. Oh yes and sweets too. Celaena continued her monologue of what the man did to her dress, "Arobynn!" she exclaimed "You're not listening to me." "Listening I am listening," he said, "It went like this blood, blood, more blood, gore and guess what more gore."

"Nope" said Celaena "I was complaining bout the fact he gave my dress red polka dots." Not again wailed Arobynn internally. Celaena continued "A blue dress with red polka dots doesn't go together in the slightest." Why oh why do I do this to myself Arobynn complained internally. "And that is why," Celaena said "I have decided this the last time I'm ever going to do an assassination in a blue dress." Arobynn could hear his purse crying for mercy as she insisted on getting a new dress, this time in purple. Fuck he thought she was sooo gonna wear it to the next job as well.