Domrémy

It was a warm Friday afternoon. The sun shone brightly, and there was not a cloud in the sky. I was on my way to the house of Marguerite, one of my best friends, and her two years younger brother André, who usually tagged along with Marguerite and I whenever we were playing outside with the other children in Domrémy.

Instead of using the roads towards their house, I went through my father's corn field. It was a shortcut I always used.

I was almost out of the field when I heard a sudden inaudible whisper from my right. My heart skipped a beat and I stopped dead in my tracks, too afraid to move. I stood there for a few seconds, waiting to hear the voice again.

Slowly I turned my head to the right, in the direction of the little church, and I was met by a smoldering white light. It was so bright that I felt like it would blind me if I stared at it for too long. The light had a mysterious, almost holy feeling nonetheless.

“Jehanne.” The voice spoke again, much louder this time. It was the voice of a man, he said my name perfectly and it was the most beautiful and intriguing sound I had ever heard. So majestic and grand; it almost made me tremble. All the other voices I had ever heard sound plain and ugly compared to this one. It was such a worthy voice, so much so that I had a feeling that it might be God’s voice. It simply left me speechless and gaping in wonder.

"Jehanne, you don't need to fear me, my child."

After hearing the mysterious voice for the third time I realised that it wasn't the voice of God. It was the voice of an angel.

As if to confirm my thought the man spoke again, "Jehanne, I am here to deliver a message from God."

Although he didn't literally tell that me he was an angel it was clear as day that he was one. Even my twelve year old self knew that angels are the ones who deliver messages from God.

Although I couldn’t actually see the angel in front of me I imagined him to be a tall fair men, with a snow-white robe and beautiful wings, and not to forget an aureole.

I shook my head, reminding myself not to get lost in my thoughts. I had heard many stories about how beautiful angels where, and I was sure that they were even more beautiful in reality.

I was shocked.

Why would the one and only God have a message for me?

Jehanne. A plain girl, leading a normal life. I couldn't understand what was so special about me.

After a few seconds of silence the angel continued.

"Jehanne, you must be a good and devoted Christian, and it is important that you regularly go to church. Will you promise me that my child?"

The first question that came to my mind was why God sent an angel to tell me that I, a peasant girl, must be a good Christian.

Questioning God however is unnecessary. He knows everything after all, doesn't he?

''I promise.'' I replied, my voice sounding slightly shaky.

"Good Jehanne," he replied, "There is one more thing I need to tell you. You, Jehanne,  must go to France."

As if I didn't already had enough questions I now had even more. Why does God want me to go France? And what does he mean with France? Domrémy is located in the French part of the Duchy of Bar after all.

I managed to overcome my moment of shock, awe and cluelessness and asked him the one-word question that summed up most of my questions.

"Why?" It sounded more like a whine than a question.