Chapter 2- Freak of Nature

~Carnire~ Year: 1376~ (Procul Universe) Age: 16

Gracia knew that Mark never saw her the same after what happened in their training session. After he had helped her down safely on the platform, he just sat there, staring at her as if she were... alien. No smile, no anger shown on his face. Just an intense and somewhat cold stare.

"Took you long enough to help me dummy! I was tired of just being floating around. Do you have any idea how- Mark?" Gracia asked, seeming to just notice the somber look in her friend's face.

She reached a hand out to set it on his shoulder, only to be surprised as he slapped it away from him, standing up and taking steps back.

Gracia immediately retreated her hand, a hurt expression on her face as she stood up after him, taking a step forwards to him. "Mark.... What's wrong?" She asked him hesitantly, her tone that of curiosness yet it was serious. The air around them had turned tense all of the sudden.

Mark kept staring at her, his eyes boring on hers as he shook his head and turned around. "You... How did you do that?" He asked her, avoiding her question as he started picking up his things.

Gracia shook her head, shrugging as she watched him starting to collect his things. "I have no idea Mark, but isn't it amazing? I can fly now! Of course, I need a bit of practice, but I am sure I can master it in no time! Think about the things we can do with my new abili-"

"Shut up!" Gracia jumped startled, her words getting stuck in her mouth as she looked at Mark. "Just... shut up, I don't want to hear anything about your stupid abilities Gracia." He continued, facing her with such hate that made Gracia's heart shrink.

"Mark... what are you talking about?" She spoke calmly, a hint of fear in it as she remianed frozen in spot. "I knew there was something about you." He started again after a moment of tense silence. His jaw was clenched and his hands were balled in a fist.

"There was something about you that wasn't normal at all. And now... I knew I was right." Gracia's expression turned into that of confusion as she took another step forward, stopping as she saw Mark's menacing glare. "Mark... I don't know wh-"

"Just shut up and listen you freak!" He spat back, Gracia's heart shrinking more as she now took a step back, tears gathering up at the corners of her eyes. Why was Mark treating her like that? Why was he being so cold towards her all of the sudden? Was it because of her powers? Was it because she could do things that humans only dreamed off?

Was it because she was... a freak? She thought he was her friend now matter what happened, but now she knew she was totally wrong.

"I don't know what you are or why you are here." Mark proceeded with the same cold and hating tone. "But the thing I know is I don't want you near me again." He finished off, walking off without any more words spoken towards Gracia.

As he left, he not only took with him many years of great friendship and recently love, he took the little happiness that she had left in her life. Her family had passed away in an accident, and she was all alone. But Mark was always there for her, helping her through dark times by spending time with her and even making her smile once again. And yet... it seemed everything was just a lie. If Mark was truly her friend, he would have never seen her differently, no matter what.

Gracia fell to her knees, her gaze fixed on the floor as she tried to process what just happened. She stayed sitting on the floor, the weather seeming to be in the same mood as she was in as it started raining.