002

It had been about a week since Sasha had visited the bookstore in hopes to find the book. She would have visited another if it weren't for the fact that that was the only book store within an hour of travel. She was sitting at her desk at work when her phone began to vibrate. Setting the pen to her tablet down, she picked up her device. An unknown number flashed across the screen. She slid the 'accept call' button across the screen, holding the phone up to her ear.

"Hello?" she said, voice curious. It wasn't often that she got calls from numbers she didn't recognize.

"Hi," a deep voice said on the other line. It sounded familiar. "Is this S-sasha?" He sounded nervous.

"This is she," she responded, still curious.

"Hi... This is A-Anthony... I helped you at the bookstore the other d-day." A smile came to her face. She should have known.

"Oh, hey!" she said, voice excited. "Have you had any luck finding the book?"

There was a moment of silence on the other side, then, "Somewhat."

"Somewhat? What's that supposed to mean?" she asked, though her voice was far from accusatory. She just sounded inquisitive.

"Well... I found someone els-se who recognizes the plot and n-names, but they can't remember the title, either." He paused for a moment. "I just thought you sh-should know that I've looked into it. H-hopefully I can figure something else out."

"Don't worry about it!" she said cheerfully. "Honestly, you've gone above and beyond as is. Just let me know if this person remembers the title and that would be more than plenty."

"You sure?" he asked, almost sounding guilty.

"Definitely," she said without question. "No need to worry."

"Alright... I guess I'll t-talk to you later, then..." He still sounded nervous.

"For sure! Thank you so much, again, for your help."

"No problem... Bye f-for now, then..." Before she could say goodbye in return, the line was dropped.

Sasha smiled happily as she picked her pen up again. There was hope to find the book. Chewing her lip to prevent her giddiness from overflowing, she continued her project.

____________________

Thank you so much for reading chapter 2 of If Not for the Mystery Book! You are beautiful, and I hope you have a day as grand as you are!