Chapter Three - The Carriage Ride

To say that the Carriage ride was an awkward predicament would be the understatement of the century. The Carriage that Luna and then Harry boarded turned out to be accommodating the new couple, Ginny and Dean. When Harry noticed this, almost instantly, he groaned to himself. He was hooping to avoid the pair as much as possible. Harry soon felt the contents of the meal he had before the train ride try to climb back up his throat, because before him, Ginny and Dean not only were snuggled tightly together. But they were trying (and failing) to hide their sexual attraction for each other. And with disgust, Harry could see that Dean was gently fondling Ginny through her robes by the slight tensing of his arm through his own robes.

Delightful.

Harry was filled with dread as he noticed that Luna was connecting the dots, from this situation to their last conversation. Harry just hoped that she would keep her mouth shut, and not add fuel to the flames of awkwardness that seemed to be setting Harry's cheeks ablaze. A conclusion was quickly drawn by Luna, Harry could see this from Luna's easily readable face. And what Harry saw lightened his ever so slightly, as Luna's face wore the expression of disgust, distaste and even a tiny bit of pity. Harry was sure that these expressions seldom lay upon Luna's face and didn't look right overtaking the usual ditsy yet equally knowledgeable exterior that Luna usually wore with ease.

Luna gave Harry a steely eye that seemed to say that she almost challenged Harry not to explain, she would find out. This look of sheer determination seemed to tell that Luna was above gossiping, but wanted to know where she stood with Ginny. As she didn't know the full details of the messy parting between the raven haired boy and the fiery maned girl Luna withheld most judgment but a side eye to the new couple from Harry seemed to explain that soon all would be revealed.

After an awkward, albeit slightly uneventful ride up to Hogwarts all of the students hopped out of the carriages to make their way trough the grand Jo front gates. Luna hopped down from the carriage and started her ascent up to the school in one fluid move with a certain grace that had all of the fellow students transfixed. The now insanely beautiful and graceful blind turned around to usher Harry to catch up with her, unaware that most of the boys (and some of the girls) were staring at her with a new longing.

Harry felt a sense of smugness and pride for his friend, the tables had turned. The once "Looney Luna" now held her childhood bullies in a spell without the use of magic.

In a few moments Harry and Luna passed into Hogwarts with the others close behind, the familiar warmth of home greeting him with old arms. Harry could feel the magic in his veins pump that little bit faster, the stone walls that made up Hogwarts were centuries old, watching entire generations of witches and wizards grow old. The walls were saturated in raw magic which fueled every student to strive and reach their full potential.

The eighth years were met with Professor Flitwick, "Ah! I see you lot have returned, well come along then, must not be late for Headmistress McGonagall. Come along now!" The short charms teacher called, before turning on his heel and marching with authority to the great hall. The students looked slightly baffled by the urgency that the teacher spoke with. But following him none the less.

When the students entered the great hall, except from the first years which were still to enter, everyone was sitting down talking between themselves with hushed tones. Their eyes darting to the grand door as the eighth years' passed through it. And quickly, one by one, the older students realized why everyone seemed nervously excited. At the far end of the hall was another table, parallel to, and slightly longer than the Professors' table. The table was slightly closer to the staffs' table than the four students tables. 

The new Headmistress, Professor McGonagall stood up and walked around the table she was sitting at and stood on front in the middle for all to see. She slightly cleared her throat and at this every voice hushed to listen to what the wise old women had to announce. "Students, I welcome you to Hogwarts with great pleasure. Over the last year, these grounds have been the home of great tragedy and these walls have witnessed great loss. But, that doesn't mean we will be disheartened from thriving  and aiming to all be wonderful witched and wizards."