Chapter 19

"According to my GPS, it will take us about six hours to get to Chicago." Olivia announced, typing furiously on her phone.

"So we'll basically be getting there around two in the morning, which really isn't bad. I'm sure the guys will still be up." Grace added. The two of them turned around and looked at Maddie, who for once in her life was quiet.

"You okay?"

Maddie shrugged. "Not going to lie, I'm feeling nervous about this whole thing. What if we don't even get back together? Or he wants nothing to do with me?"

"You're worrying about nothing. Of course you'll get back together. You guys broke up because your parents convinced him to - not because Ryan wanted to. I'm sure he's in awful shape right now. Trust us on this one."

"Yeah, Grace is right. I'd bet you anything that you won't be coming back with us to Michigan after you see Ryan." 

Maddie sighed and gave them a smile. "Thanks you guys, for everything you've done, I really appreciate it."

"Hey, that's what friends are for. Now quit sulking and enjoy our road trip!" With that, Olivia turned up the music as they got on to the freeway. 

- - - - -

Ryan was beginning to wonder if he made the right decision in agreeing to go out that night. It was almost eleven and he was exhausted. And they hadn't even left yet. Everyone had to take showers and change out of their sweaty tour clothes first. He sat on the couch, being one of the first ones ready, and aimlessly scrolled through Twitter. He wasn't really in the mood to reply to any fans tonight. He just hadn't been feeling it lately. God, he was worse than a hormonal teenage girl.

But  in his defense, the majority of his mentions consisted of fans asking if he was okay, and what was going on with him. So he was worse at hiding the way he felt than he thought. Then again, he never was one for acting. He sighed and closed out of Twitter, twirling his phone in his hands until Nash and Jamie came into the lounge, both dressed and eager to get off the bus.

"Ready?" Jamie asked excitedly. Ryan nodded, shooting his younger brother a smile and followed them off the bus into the awaiting cab.

It took them about a total of a half an hour to get into the bar. A ten minute drive, and then twenty minutes of waiting in a line. After all, it was Friday night in Chicago. Immediately upon entering, they made their way to the bar, ordering shots. Ryan didn't plan on getting wasted tonight, he just wanted to get to that point where he couldn't remember what was making so-damn-depressed. 

He downed the first three shots in about five minutes, quickly feeling the effects of the alcohol on him. Oh, how he's missed this. As fun as it is sitting alone in your bunk writing lyrics and being miserable; it was fantastic to get out and live a little. He followed Jamie and Nash to a table in the corner - none of them were much for dancing- and actually relaxed. 

"How are you handling everything?" Nash asked, bringing Ryan out of his thoughts. 

"Okay, I suppose. On the bright side, I've written a lot of great songs out of this whole ordeal." He replied, with a slight laugh. "Seriously though, sorry for being such a little bitch about everything. It's hard...being without her. Harder than I ever would have imagined."

"We know that, Ryan." Jamie assured. "You and Maddie were dating for a long time - years, even. It's not something you can get over in just two weeks."

"Have you thought about calling her?"

"Every single day. But I love her too much to do that. She should go to college, get a degree, and maybe she'll met a guy who 'won't stop her from reaching her full potential'" Ryan couldn't help but wince at the end, it hurt to even think of her with someone else. But just like her dad said, that's what you do to make the person you love happy - even if it means your misery. He'd rather have her happy any day. 

"We see where you're coming from, but the thing you don't seem to understand is that she is an adult, she can make her own decisions. She knows what she wants more than her parents do. But hey, it's your life, so do whatever you think best. It isn't my place to tell you." Jamie replied. "Just think about it.

Ryan shrugged, tipping his glass back, finishing his drink. "Let's change the subject, we came here tonight to have fun - not dwell on the past."

After having a few more drinks and maybe a little too much fun, the guys decided it'd be a good idea to call a taxi and head back. They had to leave early in the morning for Indiana. Ryan could feel his eyelids drooping as he got in the back of the taxi - he definitely wasn't used to that much alcohol and rested his head against the cool glass on the window. 

By the time they got back to the bus, Ryan was half asleep. He dragged himself out of the cab, tipped the driver, and began making his way to the door - but was stopped dead in his tracks. There was a familiar looking car parked next to the bus, with someone leaning against the hood. He made his way a little closer, squinting through the darkness, trying to make out who it was. Then he realized it.

"Maddie..?" She stepped forward, offering him a small smile.

"Hi, Ryan."

Well that woke him up.

- - - - 

A/N Merry Christmas everyone! Well, this has officially been the longest I've gone without updating. Wow, talk about being busy. Between my college classes, homework, after school activities and work, I unfortunately don't have a lot of time to write anymore. And so, I will try to write a bunch of chapters over winter break, that way if I don't have time, I can just post the ones already done (: Anyway, so this chapter was sort of filler/kind of boring so sorry for that, but yeah. Please vote and comment your feedback, it's greatly appreciated! Thanks xx