nine: magic

CHAPTER NINE:

| ashton’s pov |

My mum threw her arms around me. She cried from both joy and sadness. She was happy that I even got this far. That I reached Christmas Eve. But she was depressed, because she knew that my health just continued to spiral down. 

And there was no way to bring it back up.

The pain in my body was immense, having been embraced so tightly did, somehow, hurt. My throat was dry, and the only sound I was able to make was a groan. 

“It’s almost Christmas.” She let out a deep breath as she sat down on the chair beside my bed. Her eyes reflected the aura of the room, mourning.

I blinked once, twice, thrice. I wanted to smile, but I couldn’t. Instead, I opened my mouth to ask the dreaded question that’s been lingering in my mind, besides her, “Am I going to… die soon?” 

The room’s atmosphere got even worse. My mum’s once hopeful face faltered. She cleared her throat, thinking of what to say to me. Thinking of a way to tell me I was going to die before I know it.

“I love you, Ashton,” she started, smoothing my hair with her hand. It brought me relief, but it wasn’t enough to keep me from asking again.

“Mum… am I?”

She shook her head, “With love, you’ll get through this.” She kissed my forehead, trying to soothe me, “Love is magic.”

I wish I could believe her, like I used to. But I couldn’t anymore. Everything I believed in became a lie. 

Charlotte’s love was magic. 

But magic is fake.

Author's Note: This is the second to the last chapter, if I'm not mistaken! Dedicated to hemmingsvibes! Ily.