Chapter Twenty Seven

"What?"

Caphriel frowned and shook her head, confusion dancing across her face.

"The only reason for all of this, the reason I did what I did. I had visions."

Her eyes widened a fraction and I watched in a silent frenzy as she swayed between trusting me and hating me. I took a deep breath as she nodded for me to continue, hesitant to trust me but curious at the same time. I needed her to understand this.

"What were the visions like?"

"What?"

"Were they light and shimmery? Or was it more of a dark haze?"

"There were both."

I nearly jumped out of my skin. Something was going on, and it involved both of us, whether we liked it or not. I was excited and scared. Would she just brush it off as a coincidence? Or would I actually gain something?

"And did you come back to reality in the exact same moment you had left it?"

"Yes."

I couldn't believe my ears for a moment. Finally, there was someone who understood what I was talking about. Finally, someone else who had the same experiences I did. I could talk to someone else about the visions at last. Tears of pure joy slipped from my lashes, decorating my cheeks with shining trails.

"Alethia, are you okay?"

I smiled at the concern on her face, the brief instant of worry before the mask came back. The thought that she could refuse me slipped my mind completely.

"I'm great. Trust me. I've just never had anyone who understood."

"Well of course nobody would understand. You're not exactly a social butterfly."

"Nobody listened to me when I told them. I kept warning them, but they ignored me. So I acted on my own."

"Nobody listens to me either way, so I don't have that issue. Good luck."

I stopped, shock and betrayal freezing me where I was. This wasn't what I had been expecting at all. Was it that hard for her to come to terms with the fact that we were similar? I had been wrong after all. She didn't understand me.

"What?"

"We're not alike. You're on your own for this one."

"Oh. I see."

Just like that, my hope for someone similar to myself was gone. I had been rejected by the only person who I could have identified with, the only one I knew who had experienced things I had. And yet, she had destroyed me with just two short sentences, as if it didn't matter to her at all. I drew myself into the corner, wings partly spread and shielding myself. Sobs shook my shoulders and angry disappointment clouded my thoughts.

"Hey, stop being a whiny bitch. You survived this long without my help, so why do you need it now?"

I said nothing, only crying harder. Was this to be my final legacy? The angel who died from lack of social success? I felt a hand roughly trying to push my wings aside and I curled them even tighter around me, biting angrily at the hand that reached through to me. She wanted nothing to do with me, so she would get exactly that.

"You said it yourself, I'm not like you. Don't touch me!" I shrieked.

"Alethia, are you stupid?"

"Why are you in here? I'll tell the Second Elder. I'll tell him you have the key!"

I took a leap at her throat, digging my nails into her arms. In seconds, I had her firmly in a choke hold, ready to cut off her breath at any time. My jaws clenched in a fit of pure rage and I bared my teeth not a foot from her face. I could hardly feel any of my injuries, upset as I was, and my right shoulder nearly gave way trying to cut off her breathing.