Prologue: Adeline

Adeline

"Die Amerikaner kommen! Wir müssen zurückziehen!" (The Americans are coming! We must retreat!) I looked up from the soldier I was bandaging to see a man running towards the camp.

"Wir müssen gehen!" (We must go!) Another soldier came running from the trees.

I started to get nervous. The army told us that the Americans were not to be trusted. They would kill on sight and rape women.

I started to help up some of the wounded, getting ready to retreat. We were deep in the forests of France. It had been two months since the Americans landed in Normandy. They had slowly been pushing our forces back to Germany.

"Es gibt keine Zeit, Schwester. Greifen Sie, was Sie können und laufen!" (There's no time, Nurse. Grab what you can and run!) A soldier told me. I regretfully looked down at the man in my arms.

"Nein, bitte. Ich will nicht sterben. Die Amerikaner werden mich quälen! Bitte!" (No, please. I don't want to die. The Americans will torture me! Please!) He shouted at me. I placed him down on the ground and grabbed as much supplies as I could fit into the bags lying around and returned to the man.

"Ich werde versuchen, Ihnen zu helfen, aber ich brauche Sie, um diese Tasche zu tragen." (I will try to help you, but I need you to carry this bag.) He agreed and I helped him up. He slung my bag around him and leaned on me. I wasn't sure what his name was, but I knew he had gotten shot in the femur. He put most of his weight on me and we hobbled towards where the rest of the capable had ran off too. 

I clenched my eyes shut as I heard the rest of the wounded crying out in pleas. Many of the able men had returned to save them, but I knew most would die. The man leaning on me grabbed my shoulders and turned towards me.

"Wir werden es nicht schaffen." (We aren't going to make it.) He said. I was about to question him when he fell down dead. Fresh blood started to soak through his already stained shirt. I turned to look at where the bullet came from and saw an American Soldier pointing a gun at me.

"Are you a nurse?" He yelled. I paused, and looked around. I pointed at myself. I knew the Americans spoke English, but only knew a few words and phrases.

"Yes, you. Are you a nurse?" Another yelled at me. He also had a gun pointed at me.

"I-I-I am nurse." I said. They looked at each other skeptically and exchanged glanced.

"Do you speak English?" He asked. I knew the word english, and I knew you was referring to me. I shook my head and he sighed.

"What do we do? I don't speak German!" The second one groaned.

"But Henry does." They looked behind them and yelled for a soldier. He came running, and pointed his gun at me. As they were talking, I bent down to the fallen soldier I was helping before. I felt for a pulse, and then closed his eyes when I found none.

"Are you a nurse?" I heard a man ask in my native tongue. I looked up to see the soldier who was just called.

"I am. I'm the only one left. We have been on the run for a while." I said back. He translated for his comrades and then turned to me.

"Where are the others?" He asked.

"They have all died, or were transferred to a different troop. I am the only one left." I repeated.

"Where are your soldiers?" He asked.

"Dead or running." I replied.

"Will you come with us?" He asked. All three men were still pointing their guns at me.

"Do I have a choice?" I asked.

"Yes. You come with us, or we shoot you." He said. I watched as he translated with his men, and they cocked their guns before re-aiming at me.

"What do you need with me?" I asked. No way was I going to be raped. I would send the end of the bayonet at the fallen soldier's hip into my neck before they could do that.

"We need your services. We don't have a nurse. You will come with us." He said. I thought it over a bit.

"I will need to get my supplies from this bag," I pointed towards the dead man, "and the tent you passed earlier. Are all my men dead?" I asked.

"If they aren't already they will be." He said, and dropped his weapon. His comrades did the same. I knelt down and took the bag off of the soldier's shoulder. I said a prayer for his family, and walked towards the Americans.

One was in front of me and the other was in the back. The one who spoke my language was next to me. 

I followed them silently to the tent. I closed my eyes when I saw my patients, some my friends, with their insides on the out. I grabbed the remaining supplies, and prayed for each man. 

As I returned to the soldiers, the rest of the troop started to appear. It seemed that there were thirty men all together. The three men near me explained the situation, and I received glares in return. I lowered my head and looked at my black shoes, which hid the blood.

I followed the men back into the trees with a grim look on my face. I knew I would never see Home again.