Chapter 2 - Home, sweet home...

Chapter 2 – Home, sweet home…

Peyton

“Have you decided what all we need?” Stark asked.

“Yeah, I have.” I stated.

Stark and I were waiting for Dom in the briefing room. Amber was in the room, cross-checking for stuff that we may have forgotten to pack. Sleep had been scarce; I had slept well for two hours or so, but had woken up due to a bad dream. Unable to go to sleep after that, I had made a list of all the things that we would need.

“Morning, Agents.” Dom greeted, sitting on the chair at the head of the table.

“Morning.” Stark and I said in unison.

“So, the list?” He asked.

I handed him a paper with a list of things scribbled on it.

“I hope you’re not expecting marks for presentation.” Dom joked.

“Damn, forgot about that.” I said and laughed, Stark joined in.

“Well, you’ll have these things ready once you reach the safe house. Good luck and have a safe flight, and Stark, for Goodness’ sake don’t shoot anyone unless you need to.” He added the last part and Stark smirked at him, replying with a faint ‘I’ll try’.

“I’ll wait for you at the car.” Stark said, while leaving through the door and heading out.

I walked into the room to find it empty. No sign of Amber, or the luggage.

I sat on the bed and closed my eyes, thinking everything over.

“She misses you.” A deep male voice said.

“How do you know?” I asked, still not opening my eyes.

“How do you think we took Derrick Johnson in?” He asked.

“Let me guess, you persuaded him?” I asked, a hint of a smile on my lips.

“There’s that smile… Of course, I did.” He said and sat down beside me.

“Please tell me you didn’t beat him up.” I said.

“I didn’t need to, the guy almost pissed his pants after I jumped down from the roof and landed in front of him.” He chuckled and then added, “She’s really pretty.”

“Yeah, tell me about it.”

“I shadowed him for a while. She talked about you often.”

“She did?” I asked, opening my eyes in surprise.

“Yeah, she did... Well, you should get going now. I helped Amber carry out the luggage, she’s waiting for you outside.” He said and offered me his hand.

I took it and he pulled me to my feet, “Good luck, Agent. Don’t disappoint me.” He said, shaking my hand.

“I won’t, Stryker.” I said, he smiled and left through the door.

Samuel ‘Stryker’ Valentine was my trainer, and our best combat expert. He was in his early thirties, had sandy blonde hair and silver grey eyes. He was good looking, a charmer with the ladies when he wanted to be. But he mostly kept to himself. He had been a real jerk when we had first met, but he had softened since then. He always provided words of encouragement before an assignment. Never once did he forget to remind us not to disappoint him, cause if we did and still somehow survived, he would kick our ass.

I looked at the room for a last time, not knowing if I’ll ever be coming back or not. I shook my head, locking the door and heading out to the car park.