PART VII: THE SPRING FESTIVAL

The day before the Spring Festival finally arrived, John and his family – including Yor – decided to take a break.

While Alia and John went to the riverside to spend some quiet time together, Mike and Jim were free to roam the forest with Nina, one of the many part-time nannies in the kingdom, and their peers. Only Elmeida and Yor were left behind at home—her because she did not want to be left alone outside the comfort of the home and he because he wanted to have some peace and quiet, away from the noises and cheers outside. It didn't occur to either of them to go somewhere together... but then again, mayhap that was for the good of everyone in the world.

Elmeida stepped out of her room after having changed for the day and saw Yor already set to begin his. He was seated on a stool in the living-room, his back facing her. She could not help gazing at him. He had a straight, muscular back, as if he had worked on a field all his life, hair naturally curled and raven-black. And he was almost as tall as her Uncle John. He was wearing regular clothes: A light brown long-sleeved shirt and a pair of black comfortable-looking trousers, both baggy and giving anybody who looked at him the impression that he was heavier than he probably looked. 'Or maybe he is very heavy!'

Even as she took in all these details, he abruptly turned around and, when their eyes met, she coloured and darted her gaze away.

"You don't have to be afraid of me, you know," his velvety voice spoke up; immediately, she lifted her head up to face him. "I'm not going to eat you. That's right: we've seen eye-to-eye at last!" The happy grin he gave her seemed to light up his entire being, and warmed her heart.

She smiled back at him bashfully. "Y-yes, I... I'm – er – sorry for being such a bother. I can stay out of your way if that's what you want."

He shook his head. "Please don't say that, my lady. You've never been a bother. As a matter of fact, you have been a source of intrigue to me all week."

This sudden flattery alarmed Elmeida and she took a step backward. "Oh," she managed to breath out. 'A flattery or an insult?' she wondered.

Yor's smile faded as a look of concern replaced it. "Er – I'm sorry, I didn't mean to –"

Elmeida cut him off: "No please, I was so very flattered that – well, your words took my breath away, sir." For assurance, she gave him another shy smile.

He looked relieved. "Well... good, then."

An awkward silence ensued as they each tried not to catch the other's eye.

At last, Yor said, looking forward: "Come, sit here with me, will you?"

Elmeida started, but recovered quickly. "O-okay."

She looked him over again. His face was as pleasant as she had seen the first day; she couldn't help feeling relaxed.

Once they settled down on a pair of stools facing one-another, he began, "Let me introduce myself: I'm Yor Castel of Selina, in the Kingdom of Grant."

"Yes, I think my uncle told me." She couldn't help a sudden giggle. He grinned, showing his imperfectly-shaped teeth.

"But did he tell you I lived there for seventeen years, before I decided to travel?"

She shook her head. "Why?" A pause. "Why did you start your travel, your journey?"

"When I came of age, I knew I had fortune waiting for me. I started my journey in search of this fortune. I travelled for a year, paid my respects to the kings and their elders of the countries of Cramarick and Cordelia, sought their advice, and helped them with their problems."