Chapter 5 Sleepless Nights

Late that next evening Justin went to visit his girlfriend who lived in Atlanta. The forty-five minute drive seemed to last forever. The thoughts of Sloan's session bombarded his mind. He began to examine everything that had gone on in their home when he was a child. When he finally arrived, he felt a desperation to see her that he'd never felt in all the time they'd been dating. He had a key to the condo. He thumbed through the keys on his ring and then opened the door. She was surprised to see him, especially so late and on a night when she had to be at work the next morning. "Justin?"

She was even more surprised when he walked over and embraced her like he hadn't seen her in years. He held her tight, trailing his hands up and down the back of the blue satin robe she was wearing. "What's the matter, Justin?"

"Marcella, have I told you enough how much you mean to me?"

She wrapped her arms around him and now held him as tightly as he held her. She rested her head on his shoulder. "What's the matter?" she whispered.

"I love you. I want you to know that you mean everything to me. I wish I had said that to you more often, but I will from now on."

Marcella took his hand and led him to the overstuffed beige sofa. Justin sat down, putting his legs up on the matching ottoman. Marcella curled up under his arm with her head resting on his chest. She reached down and powered off the widescreen TV that was mounted on the opposite wall. Her eyes drifted to the sliding glass doors off the patio, and she peered off into the beautiful forest that was behind her home, dimly lit by the moon. The site seemed to calm the alarm that raced through her heart at Justin's unexpected arrival. She stroked his hand. "Is everything all right?"

"You know I told you about everything that is going on with my parents and that we had to call in our dearest Sloan to help out."

"Yes."

"Well, I had to drop my dad off at the airport yesterday morning. He's in Morocco because of something Sloan said at the meeting."

"Morocco?"

"It's too long of a story to explain, but he's really there because he lost touch with my mom. He needs to find a way back to restore their relationship. But Sloan said if he'd let my mom know more often how much she was loved and appreciated, they probably wouldn't have broken up. My dad was upset hearing that, but he didn't deny his actions. Then I started thinking about our childhood. I never heard my dad say to my mom that he loved her. But she did. Every time he left the house, she'd kiss him and say, 'I love you.'"

Marcella turned and looked lovingly at Justin's troubled face. She kissed him on his cheek and scrolled her fingers through his thick, brown hair. "You haven't been very vocal about your feelings, but I know that you love me."

"I was really shaken up yesterday. I don't have an excuse for not being vocal. That will not happen again." He faced her, boring his hazel eyes into hers. "I will not be my father. You shouldn't have to think that I love you. You should know that I love you because I've told you. You should know that I appreciate you because I spoke it from my heart to yours."

Marcella began to yearn for him. She'd never seen Justin that intense. Neither was she prepared for the sweltering kiss that followed.

***

Sloan lay in her bed staring up at the ceiling, a bag of mixed emotions. Memories of Jet's kiss were as real as the air she breathed. It was something that her body wanted, yet her mind resisted. She felt soft pressure as his lips traced over hers, and sparks dancing in her soul as he went deeper. He tasted of mint. The scent of sandalwood revived her memories of wearing his shirts, being wrapped in his robes and the sheets upon his bed—fiery memories.