Chapter 15 Temptation

An old shingle-style home with its wraparound porches and 9-foot windows was stunning, making the perfect spot for the wedding. The house was painted in a creamy white, reflecting Southern charm. The ceremony was simple and sweet. They were married on the back lawn. Marcella and Justin were standing under the white arbor with beautiful peonies swirling up the ancient wood. The backdrop of lush, green trees and the little rustic garden shed on the grounds of the Kendall House in Roswell was magnificent.

It was just the two of them in the wedding party. The balmy breeze rustled Marcella's hair. There were no pins or clips, only long, cascading curls that sculpted her oval face. Her makeup was just right; soft shades of blue and gray made her alluring. There was a touch of red gloss on her lips, soon to be kissed away by the man who had stolen her heart and made her want to love again. The dress was peach, off the shoulders with a large, white satin bow around the waist. It clung to her body, dropping slightly below the knee. She looked as if she'd walked off the pages of a fancy bridal magazine.

Justin was wearing a gray suit with a bone-colored shirt and a peach tie. His thick brown hair was combed back, giving him a very sophisticated look. He stepped forward when the pastor pronounced them husband and wife, leaned down and gave Marcella a kiss that sent a fiery jolt. When they parted, Marcella gazed up at him and beamed. A photographer snapped photos stealthily.

"We did it," he whispered.

"I know. I'm so happy."

They walked down the path into the house that had been beautifully decorated. In the middle of the reception area was a table for two. Waiters delivered their meals on silver platters. Prime rib, rosemary-spiced potatoes and a large garden salad were the fare of the day. Music played softly in the background. Justin held out the chair for Marcella before seating himself. They held up two glasses of sparkling cider and clinked them together. "Here's to a great life, Marcella."

She nodded and smiled. After they returned their glasses to the table, she took Justin's hand and kissed it. "Do you think they will understand? The thought of having another big wedding ... "

"They will be happy for us ... at least in time. Let us put it to rest. We'll handle things when we get back from Cabo."

***

Alana was hooked after two weeks of listening to Sloan's show. Misty nearly had a meltdown when Alana finally told her that she'd tuned in. She felt victorious that she had tossed out a lifeline to help Alana get over Jet. They sat in Alana's office, discussing the masterful Sloan Jensen.

"So the woman was saying how proud she was that she'd been able to raise her ten- and twelve-year-old children as a single parent. I couldn't believe what she said next."

"What did she say?" Misty said, sitting on the edge of her seat.

"She said there is no such thing as a single parent. A parent implies that there are two parties involved, and that for the last twelve years she had cheated her children out of income they should have gotten from their and I quote, 'trifling, low-down, insensitive and crazy father.' I laughed my ass off."

"That sounds like Sloan," Misty grinned. "What did the woman do?"

"She was stunned into silence. Then that woman kept going. She was on an absolute tirade and declared that women should stop letting men get off the hook, wearing their single status as a badge of honor. She said single mothers have to work twice as hard while their former lovers are off creating families with other women, supporting the new family and not looking back at them."

"Goodness!"

"When the woman finally spoke up, the only thing she could think of to say was 'Thank you.' Sloan said, and I quote again, 'Baby, it's time to take your kids to Disneyland. Haul that scoundrel in for back child support.' I nearly fell out of my chair. She's fierce."