Chapter 6

After battling for a row of four seats we waited patiently for the deputy principal to begin the boring assembly dribble. After twelve years we had finally learnt shut up during the whole ordeal as we had spent many lunch hours getting lectured. If we had to hear another ‘back in my day’ story, I’m sure there were going to be casualties.

“There have some changes to the time tables,” the Deputy announced finally gaining our attention. “Firstly those in Metalwork class, there have been some changes due to Mr Edwin being unable to return this semester. Instead you will be placed in the Woodwork class with Mr Hutchings. Now secondly…,” he continued but I blurred him out. Everyone looked over at me, as I h felt my life slowly leaking away.

“Don’t worry Callie, I’m pretty sure Daniel is in that class, you’ll be fine. Plus it might be fun,” Erin smiled reassuring. Normally I would be comforted by Erin but she was the one who gave me the stupid dare. I nodded and drew my attention back to the deputy who was now onto another topic.

“Many would of you know about the carnival that was held last week. Well we had several different stalls set up by different students raising money for a good cause. The one that I have been told a lot of is…well… why don’t we get Maya Adams to come out and explain…,” he glanced over the sea of heads waiting for the little future event manager to come to the front.

What piece of life I had left had now completely vanished. This just kept getting worse, didn’t it. I covered my face waiting for the carnage.

“Hey everyone!” Maya smiled casually giving a cutesy wave. “Well as many of you know, over the holidays me and some of our extraordinary students helped raised a several hundred dollars for the animal shelter. I’ll spare you all the details but I’m sure many of you guys should be proud having participated in such a great cause,” she grinned putting a lot of emphasis on ‘participated’ giving a wink at the end. There was a little stifle of laughter around the hall and I had a few winking eyes from various random, all that I remembered with the exception of Twenty Three.

Thankfully the bell sounded and we left grabbing our timetable on the way. Things just seemed to keep snowballing when I looked up what I had next. Yeah you guessed it, metal work…

The hallways seemed long and strenuous as I shuffled my feet across the gum dotted concrete. I didn’t care if I was late, actually I didn’t care if I even show up at all. That would be great, however this school was very good at finding the wagers with their new electronic roll system. Admitting defeat I continue my perilous journey to the door labelled, ‘Metal Work 002’. I slowly opened the door and was suffocated in the hot smell of oil and grease from the various machines around the room. The second thing I noticed was that I had just entered a sausage fest. I soon figured out  that many of my old woodwork mates already had metal work as an elective as only a small number had been transferred into this class. As for the rest of the class, well they surround me in a matter of seconds all asking if I wanted to be their partner for whatever project we had been assigned.

“Quiet down, Miss Martindale you are late, don’t make me punish you,” I heard Mr Touching’s’ call across the class. Did he just say punish? It felt like an electric shock ran through my spine. Thankfully he moved on and held a little battered metal bucket, probably a previous project. “Pull a number from the bucket and go stand by that table. Ladies first,” he grinned coming towards me. Instinctively I made every effort to discreetly cover any exposed flesh, flicking my hair forward around my neck, pulling my skirt lower.  I quickly popped my hand in the bucket and pulled a scrap piece of paper out. I waited for him to move to the next person who I hadn’t notice to be Tara the only other girl in this class. Although I said our school wasn’t big on social groups she was the only exception. I suppose she was the self-proclaimed outsider. She wasn’t outwardly unusual; she was probably the least concern about her looks in the entire female cohort. So I suppose it is just her mannerism that made her different from the rest of us. She wasn’t afraid to occasionally go against the majority but by no means was she a rebel. I guess the best word to describe Tara would be, tactless and more times than not, awkward.

Stepping out from the crowd I unravelled the piece of paper before looking around the room for workstation 5. Stepping over to the heavily scratched table I looked out the window that overlooked the teacher’s car park.

“So you got moved into Hutchings, that’s gonna suck for you,” Daniel chuckled. I turned and smiled at pinkie pie’s cute brother, I still couldn’t believe they were twins.

“You have no idea. Anyway how hard can metal work be?” I mumbled tapping my nails against the table

“Metal work is completely different from woodwork you idiot,” some guy muttered pushing me slightly further down the table. I glanced up at the oaf next to me. He was average in appearance in pretty much every aspect but somehow seemed familiar. My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by Mr Touching’s walking over to us.

“Today we’re going to give the woodwork class a bit of an introduction so we’ll be making this simple box.” He announced showing in my opinion a rather boring squar tin. “ If you are not paired up with a woodwork student can you move to one. You!” he pointed at Daniel. “Can you go and join…” I watched in disbelief as my only positive walked across to the other side of the class. “Let me remind you that all jewellery should be removed, that includes rings, bracelets and earrings other that studs,” the creep master continued. I quickly unlatched my bracelet and slipped it into my pocket and tied my hair back. We’re we given our materials and equipment and a page with the instructions on it.

“What’s the point of teaching if all you he does is give you the instructions,” I mumbled annoyed glancing over to where Mr Touching’s was grinning a little too eagerly at his book ‘War and Peace’. I turned back to the table and sighed, as long as that creepy man wasn’t looking at me I didn’t care what he was really reading. I took another glance at the sheet in front of me. ‘Cut into a 30x30 square.’ Simple enough I suppose. I reached for the metal cutter thingies but my hand was quickly slapped away. “What’s wrong? Is this the wrong tool?” I asked my strangely quiet partner. I looked back at the table and decided to go for the other weird looking tool I was pretty sure were pliers.  This time he just took them away from me. “Seriously what’s wrong, you’re supposed to be teaching me.” I snapped

“How can I teach you when you haven’t even followed the first rule,” he smirked crossing his arms over his chest. I gave him a blank look. Sighing he continued. “The jewellery.”

“But I have, anyway these are studs,” I said indicating to my ears.

“Yes but that’s a ring, it could catch on something,” he motioned to my mouth.  I slapped his hand away.

“As if my face will be that close to anything, ow ow Ow! Dude let go of me!” I was practically pressing myself up to him trying to ease the pain as he tugged at my lip piercing.

“I told you I don’t like metal getting in the way,” he murmured just loud enough for me to hear. It was that guy! Number twenty-three! I suddenly felt the pull soften and pain ease. I elevated my gaze to see Twenty-three holding my lip ring.

“Oi give it back, you jerk,” I reached for it but he move it out of my reach. Why do guy have to be taller? I tried again but failed.

“Now that we’ve got this out of the way I’ll show how to use the sheet metal snips,” he grabbed the first tool and held it up in front of me placing my ring between the blades. Before I could do anything he squeezed together the handles and the ping of my ring fell to the floor.

“You…!”

---

Who knew 23 is such a jerk. Well at least she knows how to find him now.... so what do you guys think? any suggestions for further chapters...no?