A New Dawn (Prolouge)

I stood there, silently, pretending I was listening to the conversation. Gleefully, the group of girls chattered away- talking about someone I didn't know. Even though my body was facing them slightly, my ears were listening to the passing conversations flying by. Pairs of students walked past, laughing or crying or yelling. As each passed by, you could only hear a sentence or two before they were too far away for you to hear. Their conversations were, probably, just like everyone else's but only catching a small snip, really made you wonder. Making no effort to include me, the made-up girls continued like I wasn't even there. Knowing you don't belong anywhere is a saddening thought; I tend not to do well on it. Like a drawing that wasn't in proportion, you could say it doesn't bother you but it does: it always will. Cracked, the white walls of the corridor were so familiar. Flaked, the white radiators were cold to the touch but warmed me with its memories. Peeking through one of the many windows, the classroom was dark, absent of any soul.
Peering around me, I didn't know who half of my class were. There were only 15 of us, give or take a few, it was one of the smallest classes in the year. Then again, no-one really wanted to take RE as a GCSE subject, did they? Personally, I love learning about other people's beliefs and the theory behind it but I knew how many people disliked the idea of people believing in something they didn't. Even if nobody else saw it, the look of surprise and disbelief will always cross a students face if you say you chose RE, willingly. Only for a moment, would it flash across the faces of peers and friends, for it then to be washed away with a smug smile and laughing eyes. As I continued to face the group of girls, that at various points in my life I had considered friends, I looked to see if there was anyone else in this small class that I could be with. Turning around, I saw a girl that I had seen in my other classes before, happily chirping away to someone else. Her eyes looked up briefly, and she smiled before returning to her conversation. Deciding there was no-one else that I could talk to, I returned to my original position.
Sir, was always late to his lessons but never this late. Alone in the bleak corridor, everyone waited for Sir to let us in. As if he heard my cry of boredom, he appeared at the end of the hall, a few books under his arm and the biggest smile on his rounded face. Speeding past all the classrooms, the class cheered for their teacher. Turning towards his door, he began punching in the keypad's code. Triumphantly, the click sounded, granting our access to the classroom. Swivelling to face us, Mr Waltz grinned and pushed open the dark blue door. As each of us entered the, now, lit and glowing classroom, Mr Waltz greeted each of us individually. Glad to no longer face the girls anymore, I smiled at Mr Waltz and said a quick hello before heading inside.

Lining up against the colourful back wall, we all waited to be put in our places. Arraigned in tables for four, there were five rows on either side of the bright classroom. This is where many debates have been held, many thoughts have been shared, many minds opened. This was my favourite classroom and, I have a sneaky suspicion, it will be my favourite subject, too.
"Now," Mr Waltz clasped his hands together, "I haven't created a seating plan, so just sit wherever you want."
After the words left his mouth, my heart sunk a little. The girls, who I walked in with, were going to take up a table for themselves and I would have no where to sit. Looking at the girl who I had seen in all my classes, I could ask if I could sit with her. Who knows, I could make a new friend. Quickly, I stepped beside her.
"Hi," I smiled shyly, "I was wondering if I could sit with you?"
Gesturing to her and her friend, she smiled at me.
"Yeah, sure. You're Lily, right?" the girl asked. Blinking, I wondered how she knew who I was.
"Yeah I am," I replied trying to remember if I had seen her before, "I've seen you with Kat before, haven't I?"
As it dawned on me, I remembered Kat talking to her last year.
"Yes, that's me!" She announced, flipping her hair in a joking manner. Laughing, quietly, I understood why Kat was her friend. Kat was always up for a laugh and would seek out friends that could make her laugh.
Following the two friends, I tried to pull a name from my head that would fit Kat's friend. Her dark brown hair rested 5 inches below her collar bone, in small waves and kinks; her dark hazel eyes were hidden behind her brown-rimmed reading glasses; her satin skin tone clear from any make-up and her dark features stood out as clear as day.
Sitting at the front desk, she turned and smiled at me. As if she knew what I was thinking the girl spoke out in a clear, joyful voice, "I'm Tajali, by the way, and this is Sapphire."
"Nice to, officially, meet you guys!" I greeted, "I'm Lily!"
"I've seen you with Kat, before, haven't I?" Sapphire asked, noticing my presence. Sapphire had almond coloured skin; her hair such a dark brown that it looked black against our navy uniform and dark brown eyes. Weirdly, her personality seemed shy and quite but she seems loud and bold in how she moves.
"Yeah," I confirmed, "Kat and I have been friends for a long time."
"Well, it's nice to finally talk to you," Sapphire's words rolled off her tongue with such fluidity it made me nervous about how I sounded. We sat on a table together, an empty seat to my left, but that didn't bother me too much.

As Mr Waltz opened his mouth to say something, Montreal entered the room. Tensing slightly, I tried not to look at the tall boy; I didn't want him to notice me. Whenever I saw Montreal around school, I tried my best for him not to notice me. He wasn't a bad person, in fact, he was kind-hearted and loyal, he just made me nervous after last year. His black styled hair stood out because of his light skin; his eyes somehow managed to look both light brown and blue at the same time. Putting my head down, I began to layout my page in my book. Each page had a particular way to look for each individual teacher- Mr Waltz always had a certain layout required. Looking up, to see if there was a title, Montreal briefly looked around the class, searching for somewhere to sit. Luckily, he sat on the row behind me- behind Tajali. If you were to ask why I was so afraid, I'd tell you it's a long story. Even though I knew he was in this class, Sir told me last year before our RE trip, I was still surprised. Since last year, I never really felt the need to talk to him again, if anything I felt like I didn't want to. His words never really hurt me, I think it was just his sudden change in behaviour that scared me a little. Well, if it made him feel any better, I wasn't friends with either of them now, not really anyway. In the past, I've seen him with Día after we fell out so I guess he knew we weren't talking, I assume he, also, knows I'm not talking to Izza either.
"Now's the time to engage your brains!" Mr Waltz announced, referring to the starter question on the interactive board, "You will be working in pairs and you're all in pairs... Montreal, you can work with Lily!"
Shutting my eyes, I inwardly laughed at the irony of it all. Of course, I would be partnered up with the person I was unsettled by. That's how life works, right? It loves to laugh at you squirm in the awkward situations it places you in. Opening my eyes, light flooded through. Shifting in my chair, I faced Montreal, his face like a stone wall. Maybe it won't be too bad, who knows, I might even have a proper conversation with him? Smiling slightly, we sat there in silence for maybe a second or two.
"So," I began, "what do you think the picture's supposed to represent?" The picture was of three bearded men who sat around a table in, what looked like, deep conversation. Each one identical but they were wearing different colours, one white, one red and one purple; each one had a golden staff with the same pattern.
"Maybe, it's trying to show Trinity," Montreal suggested as he stared at the picture with fascination, "you know, God as His Three Parts: The Son; The Father; The Holy Spirit. It looks like they're talking about something important."
Staring at him with my head at a slight angle, I began to realise why he chose RE. Moving my eyes from Montreal to the picture, I saw what he meant.
"They all seem to be equal," I pointed out, "none higher than the other-"
"They have the same things," Montreal noticed what I was saying, "each equal but different."
Nodding my head gently, I studied the delicately painted picture. It didn't look like it was on canvas, maybe on a wall of a Church. As I looked at the interpretation of Trinity, I saw a black swirl out of the golden window. However, when I fixed my gaze upon the window, there was no black swirl, just a simple window showing the view of white blankness.