Chapter Two - Surprised

Chapter Two – Surprised

The annoying sound of my alarm woke me. A constant, repetitive beeping noise. Sliding out of bed – which was surprisingly comfortable. I picked up my beeping phone and turned the alarm off. Checking the time said that it was eight, which meant I had an hour to get dressed, eat, and get ready for my new day.

My first day. I felt my stomach twist with nerves. As I jumped in the shower, I told myself that I'd be fine. That I had nothing to worry about. It didn't stop the nerves.

Climbing out of the shower, I towel-dried my blonde hair first, then dried my body. Getting dressed in the "black" uniformed code, I turned to the mirror and started to brush my chest length hair. I wasn't ugly. But I wasn't beautiful either. Average. Everything about me was completely average. Average blue eyes, average blond hair, average weight, average built, if a little athletic thanks to my adoptive father, and average features. The only thing that probably wasn't average for a female was my height, I was five-seven, the average height for a male.

Once finished in the bathroom, I wasn't a make-up girl unless I had to be, I returned to my main room and grabbed my bag, which of course was black.

By the time I was ready to leave it was eight-forty-five. Sliding my phone into my front pocket, I left my room. Telling myself I had to be brave, I couldn't hide in my room forever. That would be cowardly.

As I closed my door and turned to walk down the hall, I walked into a wall. How embarrassing...

"Are you okay?" a guy asked, a warm hand wrapped around my arm, steadying me.

Blinking, I looked up. Definitely not a wall. It was the guy who'd shifted for me in the headmaster's office. And now that I had a chance, I looked at him. His concerned grassy green eyes were framed in an rectangle shaped face. He had strong features, and his hair was a sandy blond that he'd swept up to spike like a Mohawk. He was a couple inches taller than me and was also dressed in the uniformed code, a black casual work shirt and black jeans. I hadn't seen it before, but he had a black tribal tattoo on his left bicep, going down to end at his elbow.

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine," I replied, pulling my arm away. "Sorry. I'm still waking up."

He smiled. Well damn. Bet he has all the girls after him. "I thought I'd show you where the main hall is. Has Michael given you a tour?"

"Um, no? He told me where everything is, but didn't show me."

He rolled his eyes. "Why am I not surprised?" he muttered quietly. "I'll show you around throughout the day, it's pretty easy to remember. Come on, let's get breakfast."

"Thanks..."

We started walking towards the stairs.

"Marc Spiren."

"Thanks, Marc. I'm Jasmine Drake, but people call me Drake."

He looked at me with a question on his face.

"Blame my friend, she started it years ago saying we should both have 'nicknames'. Once everybody had heard it, that was it. And it's stuck ever since."

He chuckled. "So, what are you doing in an all boys school?"

A what? I stopped and stared. A what? "A what?"

He stopped and turned to face me. "All boys. Let me guess, Michael didn't tell you that either?"

"No."

He rubbed his face as though he was tired already. "I want to kill him, but I won't." He said it more to himself than me, staring at the ceiling as though it would prevent him from killing the headmaster. "Come on, you can hang with me and guys."