Chapter Eleven - Cranberry Juice

Chapter Eleven – Cranberry Juice

Waking, it took me a couple of attempts to open my eyes. As I tried, I heard someone shuffle on a seat next to me. Finally opening my eyes, I was met with a white ceiling. Blinking, I heard my name. Turning towards the voice, I saw Marc; Jace; Jack; Sabien and Erik. Where was I? Looking around I saw Doyle leaning against the wall on my other side, and that I was in the Academy's hospital wing. Huh.

"Drink," oh, god, was that my voice or someone else's? It was dry, quiet and cracked as though it hadn't been used in a long time. As I spoke the one word, I felt my throat burn.

A glass was handed to me as Doyle moved the bed into a sitting position. Unfortunately, the cover started to fall, and I realised that I was only wearing my underwear. I grabbed the covers, the guys kindly looked away. Tucking the covers around me once Doyle had the bed in a sitting position, I made sure that the covers wouldn't fall before taking the glass that was being held in my direction.

"Thanks."

The guys turned back, clearly ready to turn away again if need be, but relaxed when they saw that I'd tucked the covers up.

Taking a sip... I sprayed it back out. "Oh, god. What the hell is that!"

Looking at the others showed they were staring at me in shock.

"What?"

Sabien stood then and went over to the doctor. The doctor was Dr. Louis, his hair was a short messy brown, and from a previous quick encounter, I knew that he had grey eyes and was a few inches taller than myself. When Dr. Louis turned to listen to Sabien, I saw that he had a slight stubble, and as he'd been last time, he was wearing loose, comfortable clothing.

Suddenly the doctor moved away and Sabien returned. "He's getting you a drink."

I frowned. Glancing at the glass Marc had given me, I asked what it was.

"Water."

What?

Then the doctor appeared. "Here. Try this."

Taking the glass, I looked at the ruby red liquid. Lifting it, I sniffed the liquid. I felt my eyes tingle and my throat roar as I then tipped the glass back as though I was doing shots. "Can I have some more?"

The doctor nodded and I felt a strange reluctance at giving him the glass. But I gave it to him and he disappeared.

"There was me, thinking we'd have to force it down you," Jace chuckled.

I frowned at him.

It was Sabien who replied. "She's too thirsty to care right now."

I glared at him. What were they talking about? I looked at the others to see them staring. Again. "What?"

Before they could answer, Guinevere turned up. "Hi, Drake, when your up and able, the headmaster would like to–" Her eyes met mine.

What was happening to me? Even Doyle was staring at my eyes. What, had they changed colour or something? Changed shape? Why was everybody staring? "What?"

The doctor returned and Guinevere looked at the contents, then she turned to stare at me again.

As the doctor handed me the glass, Guinevere spoke to the doctor, her eyes never leaving me. "Why are you giving her blood?"

I felt my eyes widen. Blood! I crap I was going to me sick. I stared at the glass of ruby red liquid as though it was a monster about to attack me. I'd just drank a glass of blood as though it was a shot. I held the current glass away from me.