2

Chapter 2
The Unexpected call

          WE were all taken aback by what had just happened. My mind couldn't yet register anything. I felt shocked. Too numb to feel anything.

We made our way to the market area where I assumed the second bomb must have gone off .My eyes widened at the sight and Amal's expression mirrored mine.

All I could see was red.

An awful picture of blood, fire and smoke was brutally painted. Dead bodies sprawled across the ground. Burned and hurt. I could feel tears blurring my vision. And then all of a sudden, it crashed on me. Mom? Dad? Where are they? Are they okay? Where did the third bomb explode from?

"Habeeb? Amal? Mom and Dad?" I spluttered. Their eyes widened too.

"Let's get back home."he replied.

None of our parents were at home. Amal looked like she would pass out any moment now. She was really sensitive. I could atleast keep the fear hidden. I looked at Habeeb and I knew he had kept his walls up too. His eyes gave away nothing.

"Ziya, stay with us till your parents reach back safe." I nodded and followed him back home.

Just few hours back. I woke up happily. A normal day. Everything normal. Having fun and running around being my carefree self. Now the atmosphere grew thick. Thick with fear. The whole of Azad felt it. It was there at every corner, emgraved in every heart.

Fear.

The walk back home was silent. Amal kept shaking with fear. I kept repeating that her parents would be okay. Pull yourself together kid! I am worried too. I wanted to say that to her face. No, I have to deal it with patience. I knew that Allah would keep them safe. I trust Him. And that's all I can do for now.

I made light lunch for the three of us though none of us wanted to eat anything. I wanted fresh air, like, really bad. I was about to stand up when the door burst open and in came Khalid uncle, dad's friend, and Amal and Habeeb's dad with Aunt Razia. I quickly got up and helped Razia aunt in. She was hurt. Nothing serious. Just a light injury.

"Papa, mama!" Amal went hugging them, her eyespouring tears. Habeeb immediately left with his dad to check out about my parent's whereabouts.

"Stay safe girls, we'll be back." Uncle said passing an eye exchange with Aunt where they exchanged what words could never convey.

I helped aunty in all ways I could. I gave her first aid myself and we made her a cup of green tea. Amal was back to her normal self. I pretended to be okay though my heart was racing inside.

We got up as there came a knock on the door at arpund midnight. I opened the door hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

As soon as I opened the door, I was engulfed in a hug. The familiar sent of mint and musk made me feel safe. I hugged him back tight and let go. I looked for mom.

"Where's ma?" Dad just shook his head showing a 'don't know' sign, the lines of worry marked on his face.

We left to our homes after bidding them farewell. Amal tried her best to cheer me up but nothing helped.

Dad was shaken up. And that's when I saw the silhouette of a familiar figure making their way towards us as we were nearing our home.

Mom!

She crashed herself onto dad. Oh com'on guys , am here too! Do I look invisible!

Dad squeezed mom's hands and said just for her to hear,"They are back."