4

Chapter 4
Lost Dreams

        I don't know how long it has been since we have stopped running. I don't know how long it has been since the sound of the sirens and gunshots have blurred away in the distance. Neither do I know how long it has been since we have been lost into the deeper parts of the thick forest trees.

I kept drawing in deep breaths as I sat on the hard cold ground trying  to calm my racing heart. My head kept pounding hard, that it hurt really bad. My shirt had been torn at the wrist and I could see the blood oozing out and yet it didn't seem a bit as painful as the heart that clutched my chest tight.

I couldn't breath, couldn't feel, couldn't sense. I wanted somebody to help me to get away from this absurd nightmare; this absurd reality.

I was finally knocked some sense into, when I saw the fragile figure of Amal lying on her brother's shoulders, who inturn looked like he would pass out any moment. She looked so horrified, so breakable, like a tiny voice could break her entire being. Who would'nt?

  Who wouldn't after they have just witnesse their whole world break apart.     

All I could do was weep silently for the mourning family. Mother and father, both lost on the same day and they don't even have the right to grieve? I felt hot tears trickling down my eyes as I redirected my thoughts to my own family. Who knows whether they are even alive?

Yeah. Somewhere they were. I was too terrified to think otherwise.

I leaned back on the rock behind me. The wind caressed my face trying to take my fears away with it. I was scared. Like I have never been before.  I looked up at the sky and wondered how long this was going to last. While deep within me I knew that it was just the beginning, I prayed with all my heart that I was wrong. The image of the grieving siblings were the last thing that I remembered before my eyes closed shut.

****

Habib's PoV

I sat on the ground breathing heavily. The look on Amal's face as she kept on running wouldn't leave my mind. She kept running and no matter how loud I called, she wouldn't stop. I had to grab hold of her as she cried uncontrollably shaking and wriggling, trying to escape out of my grasp.
I feel so useless right now. She looks so fragile. And I don't know what am going to do next.
I looked back and saw Ziya laying back, sleeping perhaps. Amal's breath had evened out and her eyes are closed yet she had a deep frown etched on her face and her hands clutched my shirt tightly even as she slept. My heart clenched inside. I feel so worthless. Wasn't I supposed to be the strong one? To protect my only family? And I let everybody down. I don't know how long it's gonna take before I can escape from the guilt am drowning in.
The wind tousled my hair as I laid back on the wet grass staring back at the evening sky.
The last few minutes flashed by in my mind like a slideshow as I closed my eyes. I could feel the lump rising in my throat. These girls didn't even know what they are getting into.
My thoughts then drifted off to what I dreaded to believe. I wish I could atleast have given them a proper funeral. By now, tears flowed freely. Amal moved in her sleep which brought me back to my senses.

I have to take them there. And its already getting late. It felt almost cruel to wake them both up in this state. I just knew I had to follow my heart. And I decided something. Though it hurt me to do it, I had to. I drew in a deep breath finally making up my mind.
"Amal, wake up...I-I gotta tell you something."