Part 18: Chat with Jed

Year: 1990

Time: 7:30pm

Location: Unknown Skyscraper, Sydney CBD, NSW, Australia.

Level: Unknown

Jed led us on a tour of the various rooms and facilities that we would be allowed to see, although we were still clueless as to why we were here.

We went from room to hall to room looking at some amusing and innovative things, but most of the rooms were hidden from view and we weren't pushy for answers.

We later stopped at a lunch room for a sit down and also to enjoy the view.

We had a short chat with Jed about the people here, then about him, and then I could contain myself no longer.

"Hey Jed," I started, "Can you please tell us why you helped us and why we are here?"

Jed smiled, "I was wondering why you weren't asking me sooner. Here is some friendly advice: trust us here, but don't trust anyone else as easily."

Kate and I took this advice without insult.

"I saved you because it was my duty as Keeper for this area as well as a my personal desire to save young couples, yes it has a lot to do with my personal past, no you may not ask about it." Jed paused to calm himself. "You haven't asked why we are all gathered under Sydney's command, so I shall simply say that she has been recommended and observed through various situations by our superiors and she has been the best in variable threat response situations, V.T.R.S for short."

"Cool acronym, where have I heard that before," I cut in.

"Thanks, yes, well as for our purpose..." Jed paused for a while. "We cater for travellers and ensure that precious cargo from special clients gets in and out of this region safely."

"So, you take care of VIPs and ship things?"

"We do more of security for them, but for VICs we do handle personally until we reach the borders of our jurisdiction,"

"Very Important Cargo, right?" Kate asked.

"Correct. We are for hire and may also secure transit for free under certain terms and conditions,"

"This seems like a simple job, if you leave out the amazing abilities and the limited use of firearms and Samoan guys as bouncers," I said, partly jesting.

"We have a few Samoan guys working here actually, but I know what you mean. Our job is simple but the threats we tackle are far more dangerous than terrorists and simple boat-jackers. Let me give you an example: I fought a werewolf in daylight."

Kate and I were shocked and amazed at the same time.

"Yes, daylight wolf assault seems to be common around the docks. Luckily they work alone, they only work in packs in the English docks."

"Well that's a relief," I chuckled.

Kate was scared of wolves, but she found comfort in the fact that Jed was amazingly powerful and that Sydney seemed to be a powerful leader yet caring and watchful lady, so her fears were abated.

"We are a big organisation spread throughout the Austral-Pacific region. Our other branches cover the rest of the globe but Sydney's jurisdiction can easily overlap when necessary. We need to be tough and strong to be able to care for and defend such different threats over such a wide area. And of course, no one wants to go home late." Jed laughed "Fight well and fast... then play with your kids more."

"Do you have kids, Jed?" Kate asked, curious about his looks and age.

"My sister has kids, to which I sometimes enjoy playing with to help her relax now and then. Plus I power their house for a while when I'm there so that's something else that she appreciates, Kate."

"Jed, have you ever thought of having your own?" I asked, with care and respect.

"I can't," Jed looked down and answered, "It's not possible because of my electricity. A natural EM field around a person may give off and collect static, but if I am with anyone... they'll get hurt. It's not like I don't want to. I just don't want anyone to be hurt when I get close to them..."

Kate put her had on Jed's arm to comfort him. "You will find someone," she said, though not sure what an EM field was, but she kinda got the idea.

"Don't worry Jed, you just need a socket adapter and an inverter." I joked, trying to un-serious the mood.

Jed turned to me with a look somewhat close to what thunder might look like....but then he burst out laughing.

"You know what, I like you, kiddo, what was-yo name agin?"

"Alexander Romeo Julian, but I'm cool with just Alex,"

"Well, 'Just Alex', We have been in contact with your friends at your lab and the only ones that seem to be chasing you are that pair of guys we met earlier."

"Whoa whoa whoa, what do you mean 'my lab'?" I asked, still maintaining no connections with where I originally came from.

"I meant your lab, Dr Julian. Oh did I mention we have connections to contacts through your Quantum Query Gates."