The B Team

The Hunters' headquarters was located in an old police station located on an abandon street down the way from where Angelina's jeep was parked. Luke insisted on coming along with us, claiming he was tired of sitting around and waiting.

            We walked the rest of the way, leaving the car idling behind Angelina's.

            I could see the building, with two cars parked in the lot and it's windows boarded up like it was still abandoned.

            "You ready for this?" Angelina asked us, a sly smile on her lips.

            "Here's the plan," I said, turning to them and keeping my voice as humanly quiet as possible. "We go in as quietly and inconspicuously as possible. Victor, you and Chris go find Val. Angelina and Luke, make sure you tell Jane she's an idiot as you're breaking her out. And I'll get Ava."

            We found a flight of stairs going to the underground half of the house. I motioned for everyone to follow as Angelina picked the lock. In any other situation, we would've just knocked the door down.

            I could already hear voices as we entered the dark building. Luke kept running into my back, his human eyes unable to see in the lack of lighting. We stopped when we heard someone yelling. A voice so strangely familiar. My ears perked up at the sound.

            "Val," Chris whispered.

            My heart dropped slightly, but we rounded the corner to see where all the commotion was coming from. A pair of blonde women stood before each other, both sharing characteristics so similar to Ava. The taller one, I recognized as Val. She waved her arms around wildly as she screamed at the other.

            "I can't believe you! She's my sister! Your daughter! Why would you torture her like that? What mother would do that to her own child?"

            So this was Ava's mom? The woman who took her captive, who tortured her. Angelina's hand clapped over her mouth, her eyes wide. Victor raised an eyebrow and mouthed "mother?" And Luke swallowed loudly. Chris stood unfazed, making me wonder if he already somehow knew.

            "Valerie," her mother breathed. "I expect you to agree with me. I trained you to be a good Hunter. To believe the same things. Not to show sympathy for vampires. You're the one making mistakes. You're the one throwing your life away."

            Val's voice rose with rage. "I'm trying to save me sister! The person that had always been there for me! You left because of your own selfishness! You wanted this-" she motioned wildly around her "-this life! You gave up being a mother! You gave up Ava and me!"

            Her mother jammed a finger in her face. "Don't you dare say that to me, Valerie. I never gave up on either of you. That's why I'm doing this. I'm only want what's best for you and Ava. And if that means physically pulling the vampire out of her, so be it."

            And then she turned and walked through a door on the other side of the room. Val was still there standing with tears in her eyes, her hands shaking.

            Chris was the first one to step out. As soon as Val saw him, she rushed into his arms.

            "What are you doing here?" she asked, her hands on his face. "How...?"

            Then she saw us. An odd look crossed her face before she reached an understanding. She nodded shortly and said, "So you're the people who've been taking care of my little sister?"