|1|

She tucked her tighter to her side, and under her large shawl as they walked the crowded streets. The two gold coins weighed down her pocket and she was sure everyone in her poor village could see that she had an inkling of some valuable money, just enough to get her baby sister, Adalie, an apple and a small, stale loaf of bread.

"Pia, I'm hungry," she whispered, glancing up at her with wide, innocent eyes. She meant nothing with the question, not realizing the danger that was all around them.

"I know, Ada," Pia murmured, wrapping her tighter against her ribs. "You'll have some food in just a few moments," she said this so softly she was sure Ada couldn't hear her. The rumbles of her young sister's belly made her kick herself. She should never be hungry, never be afraid. The world just wasn't the same as it was, for she was left in a dreadful time alone and with the care of a child.

The night they came was the last time she had a proper meal. Pia and her mom had just sat down in front of the old television for some late Friday night shows when the earth rattled. Some say the earth split and revealed Hell, allowing floods of demons to enter Earth. Their King came last, and she always envisioned him grinning with glee at the chaos he caused as he rose from the ground.

It wasn't all bad though. Her mom was happy for a little while, and Adalie came along because of that. The humans just couldn't mix with the demons, and Pia lost her family because of that.

Her sister had demon in her, and you could tell by the way her blue eyes shined. That's why Pia always kept her hidden away. Adalie was her everything, and she would protect her even with her last breath.

"Now, remember what I told you about these people," Pia kneeled down to look into her innocent sister's unique eyes.

"Keep my hood up, always look at the floor. Never make eye contact," she recited, running her hand over Pia's hair, committing the feeling to memory. "and if something happens, you'll meet me at the camp."

"I love you," Pia whispered.

They walked into the crowded, dusty stalls set up between the crumbling buildings. It was loud, with the shouts of merchants urging people to purchase, and the whales of pain from who knows what.

They reached a cart full of fruit that looked old as flies clung to their skin. Pia kept her arm wrapped tightly around Ada.

She picked the best looking apple she could find, saying nothing to the greasy looking guy who's staring was making her uncomfortable.

She handed him a coin, but before she could blink, he had grasped Adalie's chin, meeting her eyes.

Ada squeezed them shut tightly, jerking further into Pia's embrace, but it was too late.

"Demon!" the man screeched, yelling it again, destroying the barrier of noise. It caught the attention of everyone.

"Demon and a human together!" another person shouted.

"We have to go quickly," Pia whispered, turning sharply into the crowd, and walking briskly toward their safe place.

The pounding of feet running after them, and the threat of harm to Ada, gave her enough adrenaline to run safely to their hut in the woods.

It was completely isolated, where no one could follow them, or find them. She never left Ada alone in the tent though. They were still close to the very human village, and God forbid someone found her demon sister.

"Look what I got," Pia grinned, holding up the bread she snatched as everyone was watching the commotion.

"Yummy," Ada clapped her hands. "Love you lots, Pia."

Pia broke the apple apart with her hands, handing the slices over to her sister and saving the core for herself. Her heart clenched as she watched her shove the food in her mouth hungrily, wiping the juice that dribbled down her chin with her finger before sucking it off. It was gone in seconds,  and the heartbroken look she gave Pia made tears rush to her eyes.

With a struggle, she broke the hard bread into tiny pieces too, handing majority of them to Ada.

"Thank you," she turned, tucking into her sister's side to keep warm.

"You don't have to thank me. I'm here to take care of you," she muttered, playing with her hair to try and lull her to sleep. She covered them both with a thin blanket, closing her eyes and tried to sleep, exhausted from the long day.