|5|

Vinícius woke late the following day, exhausted from the long night. He had slept so soundly after Pia let him stay in the bed with them.

Demons didn't need sleep, but that didn't mean he couldn't use it, and he wanted plenty of energy for his mate and Adalie.

Pia was still sound asleep, but Adalie was wide awake, sitting up to look out the window at the courtyard.

"Good morning," he whispered, gaining the adorable girl's attention. She gave him a shy smile.

He knew Pia would probably sleep the rest of the day, and he was okay to spend the day with Ada. It would be a good chance to gain her trust, and show her around. He knew she'd love the gardens, especially the fish in the pond.

"Do you want to go eat breakfast, or maybe take a bath? I think your sister will be sleeping awhile." He couldn't help his cluelessness. He had never been around a child.

"A bath, please," she said softly.

"I can tell my really nice maid to come help you, how about that?"

She nodded, but looked at him panicked as if realizing something, "My eyes. I don't have a hood, she'll see them." Tears fell down her cheeks as she sniffled fearfully.

He quickly went to her side, "No, no. Don't cry," he shushed, patting her leg comfortingly. "The place where I live, you don't have to hide. Lots of people have unique eyes."

Vinícius realized that unlike Pia, there was no mate bond between him and Adalie. It would have to be a bond that they built over time, and he also understood she wouldn't automatically be comfortable around him. She had no idea what was going on or who he was.

"Why don't you wait to take a bath when Pia wakes up?" he suggested.

"You promise it'll be okay?" she asks, meeting his eyes.

"I promise. I will never let anything happen to you or Pia," he said strongly. She seemed to accept that answer.

After she took a bath and he left to shower elsewhere, he guided her down to the dining room for some late lunch.

It was a meal he thought she would appreciate, grilled cheese and bites of chicken. She ate quickly, like someone would take it away, and was full after just a few bites.

Vinícius would have to call a doctor to check on the both of them. They were extremely malnourished, especially Pia, and he didn't know how to get them to build an appetite. He didn't want them to get sick.

"Thank you for the food. I like your castle," Ada said.

It was hardly a castle, more like a mansion. He didn't like the emptyness that came with such a large space. It made him very lonely.

"Your welcome. I'm glad you like it," he gave her a gentle smile that she returned.

Adalie was quite young. Vinícius would guess maybe five or six years old, so he doubted she remembered much of life with her parents. He didn't even know if she knew she was demon. She would have to know what they were running from daily, right?

Either way, Pia had done a great job at preserving her childhood as much as possible, and she was so well mannered. He was honored to have her as part of his family.

"Is there any food that you'd really like to have?" he asked softly, gathering their dishes from their meal.

"Pia always got me apples. I like those a lot," she seemed shy again, and he knew she missed her sister.

"Yum, I like apples too. They make good pie."

"What's pie?" she tilted her head, looking so serious he actually wanted to laugh.

"It's hard to explain. How about we see if the kitchen can make some for us to try? I think Pia would like it too."

She nodded quickly, and he took her hand, guiding her through large double doors that opened into a massive kitchen.

She hid behind Vinícius, look up at him, "It smells so good in here."

He chuckled, and the staff fell silent. He was never cruel to them, probably a bit grouchy at times, but mainly he was serious and only focused on his work. He had never truly been happy until this moment, all because of a joyful little girl.

"King Vinícius, how can we help you?" His cook by the name of Sherry greeted him with a knowing smile. She was more family than anything else, most of his staff were the same way. He didn't have many people, he could do a lot of things himself, but he was nice to not be alone.

"My best friend Adalie here has never had an apple pie before," he stated, gesturing to the girl gripping his shirt tightly from behind.

"Oh dear," Sherry said, "We'll have to make one right away for you and your best friend "

"And Pia," Ada whispered to him.

"And Pia my mate," he finished.

"Of course. You, your best friend, and Pia your mate," she nodded, a warm smile crinkling her tan skin. "You'll have to let your best friend Adalie know that she can come cook and bake with me anytime she wants."

Vinícius nodded, "Thank you, Sherry."