Chapter 3 - Humiliated.

Fat.

Ugly.

Awkward.

The teacher stood at the front of the classroom, staring expectantly at the students.

She had asked a question, and was waiting for someone to volunteer an answer.

I guess she was out of luck, and decided to prey on the weak, because next thing I knew, she had called my name.

"Britton?"

It was only one word, but it seemed to carry a lot more weight than that.

It's a delicate balance. Answering questions. Answer too many of them and you're a kiss up. Don't answer enough and the teacher calls you out in front of the class.

"Is it the American Revolution?" I asked hesitantly, not wanting to be wrong.

"No, but nice try. That was in 1765. I asked what occurred from 1861 through 1865."

"I don't know." I said sheepishly, not wanting to get it wrong two times in a row. The teacher shook her head and answered her question herself, continuing the lesson.

Behind me I heard laughing. Upon hearing this, I decided to listen in on the people behind me.

A guy's voice, who I recognized to be dumb old Walter, spoke up again.

"I know. She's supposed to be smart."

His cohort snickered and whispered back, the only word I could decipher being awkward.

Great.

Gotta love school, don't you?