The Promise

Happiness. A human savior. Living on the surface. Satisfaction. Freedom... And that was when Sans woke up. He sat up in his bed, and rubbed his skull. He had dreams often. He could never tell whether those were different timelines, or just dreams. He always had to assume that they were different timelines, though, no matter how gruesome. There was always a chance that they were. He kicked off his blanket, and got out of his bed. His brother had likely already gotten up hours ago. He always was a morning person... And a day person... And a night person... He was a being awake person, Sans decided. Sans soon opened the door to his room, and peeked out. Immediately, a voice Sans recognized as his enthusiastic brother, Papyrus, said, "Sans! Finally! Do you know how long you've been sleeping?!" Sans smiled. He was in a good mood. He had an actual, really nice dream for once, where everyone was happy, and lived a good life. Including his brother. That's all he really wanted.

"Heh. Sorry bro." Sans responded, and walked down the stairs. "Hey, uh, I'm gonna go out to Grillby's for a bit." Sans said. Papyrus put his hands on his hips.

"You're always at Grillby's!" Complained Papyrus.

"Hey, what can I say?" He asked. "I got some friends to ketchup with." Sans said, and closed the door. From inside, he could hear Papyrus dissing his pun. Sans smiled. Though, that wasn't all too special; Papyrus always complained about his puns, and Sans always smiled. But he wasn't going to Grillby's just yet, as he'd told his brother. He was going to the RUINs. Just as he heard his brother opening the door, he took a shortcut, like he usually did. He knocked on the door. There was no immediate response. After about five minutes, Sans heard a knock come from the other side. "Heya." He said to his friend from behind the door.

"Hello." She responded. Something sounded down. Sans didn't find that surprising; He doubted there was much to do in the RUINs. She was probably just bored. Sans decided to try and cheer her up with some jokes.

"Heh. So, uh... Why did the skeleton say to his brother when he told a lie?" Sans asked, having been thinking of his brother.

"...What?" The woman asked.

"'You don't fool me. I can see right through you.'" Sans finished, and waited for laughter... But only a small chuckle came, followed by a sigh. Sans tried another. "Uh... Why did the skeleton break up his girlfriend?" Sans asked.

"...Why is that?" The woman asked, not sounding any happier.

"Because his heart wasn't in it." Sans said. After a moment, Sans received a slightly more hearty chuckle from the other side of the door, but... Sans knew something still wasn't quite right. "Heya... What's up?" Sans asked. "Your heart doesn't actually seem in it, today." Sans joked. But he did not receive a laugh. In fact, he didn't get a response for a bit. She seemed to be thinking.

"If a human ever exits through this door... My friend... Can you please, please, promise me something?" She asked him. Sans was surprised.

"Uh. What?" Sans asked.

"...Watch over them... Protect them... W-Will you not?" The woman finished. Sans was taken aback. He hesitated to answer. He was supposed to be a sentry... Then again... Sans sighed.

"Oh, uh... No problem, old lady." Sans said. "...I promise." Sans said, even though he hated making promises.

"Oh, thank you so much." The voice said from the other side. "I will forever be grateful." She said.

"Heh. Don't mention it." Sans said.

"Excuse me, I must depart for today. I apologize we had such a short time." The woman said. Sans understood.

"S'alright." He said, and heard the patter of her running away. She must've had flowers to water or something. Sans shrugged. He then took a quick shortcut to Grillby's. "Hey Grillby." Sans said as he walked in, and gave a similar greeting to everyone else there. Sans gave the order for some ketchup. He silently drank it. He was thinking about that promise he'd made. He thought it'd be pretty easy to keep... Maybe... Depended on what type of person that human was. He wondered why she'd asked that. Did she have a human that she liked there already? And she was just ensuring their protection? Sans didn't know for sure, and knew he wouldn't ask. He'd just assume that was the case. He left Grillby's after a few hours, and put the ketchup on his already rather large tab, and went back home. His brother wasn't home yet. Probably patrolling for humans, still. Sans decided to go back to his bed, and take a little nap, until he did get home. But mostly he just laid there, and thought about his friend from the RUINs... And with that... He slowly drifted to sleep.