Act 1~ Chapter 2~ A Genie in a Lamp

Chapter 2

  Jace climbed off of the bus, clutching his bag to his side. He put down his skateboard and started to get on before he felt a hand on his arm.

"'Ello, mental case Jace," Percy taunted, spinning Jace around.

Jace had a mixture of acceptance and loathing on his face. He was resigned to his fate but was far from happy about it. He just kept his chin up and clenched his fists, he refused to fight back.

"Mental case, don't ya know it's rude to na say 'ello?" Percy's grip on Jace's arm tightened momentarily. "Come on fella's, I thoughts we's and mental case were friends."

"Oh, I thought so too, Percy," Judson stepped forward. He spotted the bag in Jace's hand and reached for it. Jace refused to let the bag go and yanked it back.

"Isn't that supposed to be a present for us?" Ethan circled around Jace, laying a heavy arm over his shoulder. "You're too sweet."

"Can I go?" Jace tried taking a step back but was stopped by Ethan and Harold.

"Not until you give us our present."

Jace sighed, blowing a heavy breath past his lips. "It's for my brothers."

"Oh boys, it's for his brofers!" Percy cooed, giving a hard, grating laugh afterward.

The thing that bothered Jace about these boys was the fact that they seemed to have zero things to do other than torment people. They had no aspirations and no point. But it wasn't like Jace's knowledge of Shakespeare or Charles Dickons was going to get him out of this situation. Jace and Percy have known each other since primary school. Once there was an incident at school and ever since Percy has decided to make Jace's life a living hell.

"Guys," Jace mumbled but was shut up when Ethan made another grab for the bag. "It's a bunch of dusty old antiques, you wouldn't want them anyway."

"Don't tell me what I want, mental case," Percy growled and then succeeded in snatching the bag from Jace. He peered inside for the contents, picking up the train and examining it. Then he slammed the antique against the ground, causing Jace to visibly shudder. Several of the train's pieces flew off and Jace doubted that he would be able to put the toy back together.

Percy then pulled out the paper wrapped lamp, slowly extracting the object. He only looked at it for a moment and then slammed it down to the ground as well. Jace flinched but kept his fists clenched. He wasn't going to fight, he swore that he wouldn't.

"Maybe, ya were right, I don't want this junk," Percy laughed again, glaring at Jace. He turned his gaze to Ethan and Herald behind Jace. "Get all of his cash."

Harold seized Jace's shoulders while Ethan went and pat Jace down. It didn't take long for him to find the book in Jace's waist band and he pulled it out with flourish. He flipped through the pages quickly before finding the two hundred pounds and, with awe, looking up at Percy.

That was when the growling started. A fierce, angry growl resonated behind the group and slowly they turned around. Standing in an offensive position, a reddish, brown Pitbull glared at the group, his teeth bared.

Harold released Jace and slowly started to back away while the rest of the gang did as well. Jace stood frozen to the spot, not sure what to do and terrified that he was going to get chased by the fierce looking dog.

The dog barked and Jace's heart pounded in his ears but he still couldn't seem to move. Then the Pitbull took off at a dead sprint, but surprisingly passing Jace and taking off after Percy and his group. Ethan tossed the money in the air and it fluttered down at Jace's feet, which he snatched up immediately.