The Seventh Floor

As Chloe and I entered the disturbing mansion, I immediately noticed that there was no light anywhere in this place, all of it was in shadows.

“Look,” Chloe breathed while pointing to a massive stone spiral staircase that led up to the top of this dark castle. Chloe slowly walked up to the base of the stairs and went to put her foot on the stone steps, but I stopped her by putting my hand on her shoulder.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” I whispered in her ear.

“Why not?” she questioned and turned her face so that she was facing me.

“Cause, it could be a trap,” I retorted with ease and looked into her crystal clear blue eyes.

“Well, isn’t that what we’re supposed to do? Find traps in this place?” she countered with a look of disgust in her eyes.

“Yeah, but without endangering our lives!” I yelled, I thought it was obvious that we weren’t supposed to get injured.

“How am I supposed to know that?!?” she shrieked and threw her delicate hands into the air.

“Fine, but find something to use, so that you won’t hurt yourself,” I answered and went to see if I could find a stick to use, so we wouldn’t kill ourselves with traps demons might have set.

Chloe and I are angels sent from Heaven to this place to see that when the demons left this mansion abandoned; if there was any reason to not take this place for ourselves. So, we would have an easy access to Hell if there was any reason we would need to get in for wars or battles.

Chloe just died recently and got into Heaven because she was such a good person. She grew up in California and died in a plane crash when she was going to New York for college. She never did anything wrong, it was a malfunction in the plane’s engine that caused it to crash in Kentucky.

I have been in Heaven for many years, over 100 years, and I lived before any of the technology everyone who is alive now seems to know about. I died because I got diseased with cholera when I was only five, my family didn’t have a lot of money to protect us from diseases or even get a lot of food. Since, I only lived until I was five, it was easy for me to get into Heaven, and I didn’t do anything that could have made me go to Hell.

“I found a stick!” Chloe called from somewhere near the entrance to this manor. I saw her stand up, her gentle white wings spreading out behind her back, and her long blond hair falling over her shoulders.

“Ok, give it to me,” I went over to her and grabbed it from her petite hands.

“Why can’t I do it?” she whined. I swear she is a lot like a child.

“Cause I’m older,” I uttered, wasn’t it obvious.

“Technically, I’m older,” she countered while smiling and looked up at my deep blue eyes.

“No, you just died later in life than I did, I’m still older,” I responded to her attempt at leading a part of this mission.

I started to place the stick on the slabs of stones and walked up behind the stick with Chloe following closely behind. We got up to the second floor without a problem; the stairs did not make a sound once.

The problems started occurring after we reached the second floor; the mirrors showed us haunting images of our past, of our dying moments. The doors and floor boards creaked every time wind rushed into the building, which was a lot of times. The few rooms we daring go into were terrifying with dried blood on the walls, black curtains flowing from the windows, coffins lined the walls, and the posts of the beds were made of skulls. There was even less light on this floor than there was on the first one.

One of the rooms we entered had and the floors were blackened with things I dare not say and blood dripping from the ceiling.

Author’s Note: if this is bad as a horror story, I am sorry, I am not used to writing them. It does have to do with Drowning in Sorrows; it is the same time period, but a different mansion. I know it’s short, but it’s what happens on the first two floors, I promise future chapters will be longer.